diving lawyers ... advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underwater daphne:
what is it about americans and everything ending in a lawsuit.

have you read their terms of service in detail?

What is it about people who get so bent out of shape when someone else simply asks whether something they've gone through is illegal and whether a reasonable legal remedy exists?

What is it about people who always blame the victim? Perhaps many or most people are not so quick to get lawyers and sue, after all. Perhaps, people do not get lawyers and consider a lawsuit until after they've already been treated unfairly and then tried and failed to work things out without lawsuits and lawyers. Perhaps lawyers and lawsuits join the mix after it's clear that without a lawyer, nothing is going to happen.

Hmmmm.

yes, i always blame the victim...no, i just have a different feeling about when it's appropriate to do such a thing. the poster however is just seeking advice to feel better, not to sue, that i didn't know from his first post.
and yes, from what we hear about cases and lawsuits in the states, we think many of the cases are stupid and after hearing those things suspect that americans are too fast to sue for every little thing that doesn't go the way they want.
i'm not being racist and i have nothing against americans, this is however my point of view.

In defense of America let me say this. We are a diverse nation with many religions, races, ideologies, political opinions etc. These would be much more diverse than I would think one would find in a small European nation.

Plus, any good American respects the right of another American's right to disagree. So I suppose it is better to augue in a court room then it is in the street.

yes i agree on some of that and to avoid unintentionally offending anyone i won't say what i disagree on. :)

scubapro50- is the lifetime warranty in writing or simply a verbal from a salesman? Verbal agreements aren't worth the paper they're written on. What we don't really know at this time is what HTM bought when they purchased Dacor. Did they agree to assume all liabilities and risks? Did they buy a name plate? Does any of it apply now that they are probably headquartered in Italy? Further, I think that there is actually a time limit to what a "lifetime warranty" covers in terms of years. What kind of response has the Mares customer service manager given you? Note to all non-US posters: please don't try and understand or criticise our legal system. As insane as it may seem to you and your personal beliefs it still does a better job of providing us with a society protected by the law than any other in the world.

underwater daphne:
what is it about americans and everything ending in a lawsuit.

have you read their terms of service in detail?

Maybe it's the fact that Americans aren't afraid to decide what seems right or wrong to them and choose sides based on that, instead of fence sitting and being afraid to offend anyone.

hmm, i won't even bother to go into that. i CHOOSE not to go into that! :)

now get back to topic boys :wink:

A warranty is a contractual obligation. Companies don't have to give them, but when they do, they do so in exchange for value (extra money for their product or more products sold). I read the other thread and was interested in those that would defend Dacor and damn the purchaser. While it may have been foolish to give a lifetime warranty on a product like a regulator, Dacor apparently did it and profited from it. Dacor still exists as at least a brand name under Head. The non existence of parts is not really a defense for Dacor/Head. It's not clear if the original poster here has a Dacor reg in need of service or repair (or if this is just a theoretical discussion), but if he does, I see a new, free regulator (Mares or Dacor) in his future if he pushes hard enough (and he should not feel guilty if he does). Does the original poster actually have the warranty information?Mares/Dacor/Head american hq is here in CT (Norwalk).

My two cents,from an old divemaster (and attorney).

underwater daphne:
now get back to topic boys :wink:

Daphne, it's interesting for you to post that instruction, when people who have posted in this thread have either responded directly to Scubapro50's inquiry or responded to your remarks about the American justice system.

Scubapro50, I finally read the other lengthy thread. If Dacor gave you a warranty when you bought the regulator, then the warranty was part of what you purchased. You should not feel funny looking into the possibility of pursuing a warranty claim as it's a perfectly legitimate thing to do.

You're only asking the successor company to honor the contract. It's apparent from the other thread that different posters have different views on whether Mares is responsible for the Dacor liabilities, but regardless, the warranty agreement is part of what you purchased and it seems like you may have attempted to communicate with Mares about this, like you should.

If they've ignored repeated efforts you've made to discuss this, then Small Claims Court might be an option. Win or lose, Small Claims Court (in Connecticut) is fairly quick and inexpensive, and lawyers are not always needed.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom