Diving Malpelo end of February: Exposure Suite recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We will be on the MY YEMAYA on the 21st February Cruise

According to the website faq the water temperature ranges from 20-24 C and February/March is the warmest time of year however the recommendation is a 5mm with hood and under layers due to thermoclines

I always dive in surf wetsuits as they are more stretchy (GUL profile) and occasionally I put Oneill thermo vests as underlayer together with a fourth element thermocline hood (also polypropilene as the thermo vests)

Is this going to be sufficient or should I look at a warmer 5mm like a scubapro everflex or an O Neil Proteus?

I would like to hear from people that have been there at similar time of year

I recommend you a 7mm, hood and may be gloves, due thermoclines, water can drop to 17°

Better to warm then to cold

See ya Max

Interestingly the information on the website was actually wrong

The water is the coldest in February with thermoclines down to 13C at 15 meters

So in February you need 7MM hood and gloves however we don't dive with 7mm so this is going to be a challenge I think...

Then go in agust ( Wahleshark time ) good , Calm conditions, water surface termp 26°, thermocline in about 30m
Max

---------- Post added December 15th, 2013 at 05:50 PM ----------

5mm enough at this time of the year
Max

Oceanzul you should be careful offering "best prices if you do it from Colombia". You can not compare in any way the quality of operation and infrastructure between the diving operators and their vessels in Colombia and Panama. Especially in a forum like this with lots of international costumers you might put your focus on quality first.

Malpelo, due to its exposed position in the open ocean is an unpredictable place at any season you travel, that makes this island so interesting. You may have the best trip of your life with uncountable numbers of sharks and nice conditions or you might not be so lucky and find difficult conditions. But its always worth to travel there and take the chances, because when Malpelo is good its absolutely breathtaking.

Talking about water temperatures and general conditions I do agree with Max.

You can find more information about Malpelo on www.puracolombia.com or www.pacific-diving.com

All the best

Arthur

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom