Diving Maui and the Big island maybe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverkristi

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
And I have a couple of questions:

The dive/fly rule: Are the island hoppers high enough that this is a consideration?

On Maui, how about Mt Haleakala? Any diving after doing the sunrise thing?

kristi hager:
The dive/fly rule: Are the island hoppers high enough that this is a consideration?

On Maui, how about Mt Haleakala? Any diving after doing the sunrise thing?
While there might be some short hops at low altitude, most interisland flights are full size jet aircraft with normal altitudes -- i.e., yes, dive/fly rules apply.

Mt. Haleakala is about 10,000' altitude, higher than the normal 8,000' max altitude of a jet aircraft cabin. Definitely have to use dive/fly rules. OTOH, fly (or Haleakala) first and THEN dive, should be OK.

Charlie99:
While there might be some short hops at low altitude, most interisland flights are full size jet aircraft with normal altitudes -- i.e., yes, dive/fly rules apply.

Mt. Haleakala is about 10,000' altitude, higher than the normal 8,000' max altitude of a jet aircraft cabin. Definitely have to use dive/fly rules. OTOH, fly (or Haleakala) first and THEN dive, should be OK.

had just answered the Haleakala thing by googleing...Oh well.. Makes it difficult to do a dive vacation on multiple islands.

kristi hager:
had just answered the Haleakala thing by googleing...Oh well.. Makes it difficult to do a dive vacation on multiple islands.

I did the YMCA program for OW and they teach not to fly then dive either. Everything else I read, seems it's OK to fly then dive. Too much conflicting information out there!

Diving after flying is not the "BIG" issue.

We all should know the diving before flying rules.

However, these rules do not apply to diving after flying. However, some things to note. #1 and important is dehydration. Most everyone is deyhrated from the flying process and there is a direct link to DCS when diving while dehydrated. #2. There is also the fatigue issue. Are you mentally and physically alert enough to dive after a flight. An island hopper probably isn't as much of an issue.

Just my 2 cents.

if you want to do the Haleakala drive, here's an idea...

on a wednesday morning, dive, then thursday morning do the mountain, then in the afternoon do the night dive with ed robinsons, which is the way i did it, and the manta ray on the night dive made it the single coolest dive i've done...that way you get it all in and don't miss a day's diving..you still have almost 24 hours after diving before you up the mountain..

Make that a third. They even had fireworks for us no-longer-night-dive-virgins on our way back!

(well, ok, it was the Grand Wailea... and it was for a convention that was there... but we still had the best seats in the house!)

the sandwiches taste so much better on a boat in between dives....most fun meal i had there!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom