Diving near beautiful scenery in the Pacific Northwest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, in the Seattle area, you will have no problem renting tanks. You may even be able to borrow some for your stay, especially if you are Nitrox certified. You shouldn't have a problem renting weights, either.

You can rent everything you might need. From tanks to drysuits in Naniamo, Victoria or Vancouver. As you go up the island and get to the more remote sites I think you will find it slightly more difficult to rent everything, but tanks and weights are never an issue. Not sure re rental on the north island as I have my own gear so have not had to consider it.

Tmassey send your gear to a RV rental and fly here, this way you can be traveling to a bunch of spots with no looking for places to stay, also you could send you tanks ground and never take valves out. Then see if they are able to let you drop RV off in michigan on way back, having a oneway flight begins this trip and enjoy without hassle and use gps to guide you the whole way> laptop up and running to find info easy. Bet the cost are really close as you eat most meals in rv. there are state prks everywhere, and canada has them also.

Suprised nobody has mentioned Salt Creek, on the Olympic Penn. Great site, not deep, a little surge and current, and scenery, I mean wow. Right in the heart of it. Nearby Crescent Lake, the mountains, ect.

Thank you everyone for your information. This has helped me greatly to begin to solidify a strategy for such a trip. This is going to be a lot harder than a quick long-weekend trip to Florida... It's a big continent! :) But my wife is very excited, and it seems that we can design a trip that will make all of us very happy. I really appreciate your time.

Besides the great information above, I also recommend you consult a tides chart before making plans ... you want to be here on a week when tides are reasonable. For example, this particular week would not be a good time to be here, as we're seeing some 13-14 foot tidal exchanges. That creates a lot of current, and tends to make the best dive sites undiveable.

Choose a week when tides are smaller ... in the 2-6 foot range, preferably ... that will allow you access to some of the better dive sites.

I would also recommend Sekiu Jetty, out near the northwestern end of the Olympic Peninsula ... as well as Salt Creek, closer along the Straits of Juan de Fuca toward Port Angeles. Both of those sites offer some fantastic diving, in relatively shallow dive sites. In both cases, there is spectacular scenery nearby ... with Sekiu being near Neah Bay and Salt Creek being not far from Hurricane Ridge and Crescent Lake. Hurricane Ridge would be a terrific stop for the non-diver who wants some great mountain views, while Crescent Lake offers lowland hiking trails, beautiful lakeside scenery, and a nice short hike to a waterfall. Both Sekiu and Salt Creek are within relatively easy driving distance to the Hoh Rain Forest ... for some of the northwest's most spectacular rain forest scenery ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom