Diving near(ish) Hollywood Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a follow-up question - I'll be staying in Hollywood and looking for an operator that can pick my wife and I up for a day of diving on Saturday, June 13th. Because we are traveling and this will be our only day of diving, we'd also need rental gear. Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I don't know of any operator that will pick you up, you will probably have to get a taxi.

Scuba Jenny: I dove straight out of 8th street in Pompano B. 4 weeks ago and the coral did not look bleached(at least the polyps) Sea fans and hard corals were all in good shape(but then again I go all the way out to the Drop Off. You sure that pic is recent? Some of the reef looks like that in later summer(maybe Sept-Oct due to higher water temps).

I did 8th street in Pompano yesterday. From shore to the drop off, corals and sea life was practically non existent. There was a lot of y branching sea grasses and other grasses and some small juvenille fish, but otherwise not much. Once at the dropoff, there was decent life.
I remember years ago a large pillar coral to the south, but I've never found it again after that dive. I do remember the reef being vibrant and healthy.

Yes, not much to see before you hit the Drop Off, if diving straight out of 8th/12th st street. How's the reef on the north side of the Pompano Pier? Looks like a fairly large reef area close to the shore (on Google maps), then the Drop Off/Suzanne's ledge. Maybe I'll try that next time(depends on finding a parking spot though).

We went out mostly east north east. found some structure close in, but nothing till the drop off where we went south for about 10 minutes before coming back in.

+1 ...for Scuba_Jenny.......

I'd recommend using Uber as your transportation (or renting a car for a day - same price - and some deliver!) and going to Sea Experience www.seaxp.com

They offer great diving off the boat from their own business. It is South Fort Lauderdale, very close to Hollywood, maybe like 15mins driving without traffic. Dove with them, pretty cool wrecks. I am sure they have all the gear, though, I always dive my own.

It seems the OP already has done his vacation, I am posting for other lurkers.

I know nobody's proven a direct relationship, but I suspect that the beach reclamation project hasn't done anything good for the inner reef.

Bilsant, there is a guy named Ed Tichnor who heads up a group called Reef Rescue and has been flying drones over the beach renourishment projects the past few years. What he has documented is absolutely horrifying with the wash back and the non compliance of projects. We all know the beach renourishment is a bust for the near shore reefs. I suspect though that there are more factors in place such as water discharge amongst other factors. Trying to pinpoint one cause just gives those in charge longer time to continue doing what they are doing.

As an aside.. up in Palm Beach County, they are doing beach renourishment now. During turtle nesting season. Messing with endangered species nesting habitat. Scaring the turtles away with shrimp trawlers to keep the animals away from the equipment that sucks up the sand and have killed at least 4 turtles so far. :shakehead: Oh, now they are finding out that the sand they are pumping on to the beach is too fine. Gee, wonder where it will end up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom