Diving near Jerusalem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warthog

Registered
Reaction score
There's a good chance I'll be in Jerusalem next spring for a few days. Is there anyplace local worth diving? I'd love to get down to the Red Sea, but I don't think I'll have that kind of time.

If not, any recommendations for site seeing?

Jerusalem is in the Judean hills. The closest diving is in the Mediterranean Sea, roughly 30 miles away. Some sites are very unique, but this is going to be low-regular visibility. Don't expect a coral reef.

Eilat is about 4 to 4 1/2 hours by car or bus and it's a very scenic ride. It takes you down the the hills, by the Dead Sea (there is a 10 minute break on the bus) and by the Arava valley. Eilat is the northernmost part of the Red Sea. In my opinion it is worth the ride or drive. I suggest taking a bus or renting a car. The airports (Sde Dov and Ben Gurion) are in Tel Aviv. It would take time to get there, plus security.... I don't think there are flights anymore from Atarot in Jerusalem.

From Tel Aviv, there is an overnight bus. There may be one from Jerusalem too. Worst case, you take an overnight bus down, dive for 1 day, stay overnight and go back the next day.

I live in Israel and I can say that the Med in spring is freezing cold and viz is low.
The red sea would be your only option.
I can help you as I head down to Eilat quite often, especially in spring when the weather is superb, so maybe I can give you a ride.

Warthog:
There's a good chance I'll be in Jerusalem next spring for a few days. Is there anyplace local worth diving? I'd love to get down to the Red Sea, but I don't think I'll have that kind of time.

If not, any recommendations for site seeing?

Back
Top Bottom