Diving Near Orlando

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petermichelle

Sporadic Member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there, we are going to Disney World at the end of this month and want some advice on where we can slip away for a dive. We'd need to do a day trip. We've looked at Tampa, the Space Coast, Ginnie Springs and Epcot. Not sure what to do. It sounds like the diving on the coast and in the gulf is not great. Epcot seems pretty pricey ($140 each) for one dive. Is it worth it? Ginnie is a strong possibility but is it 3 hours drive?

Any info is appreciated!

When in Orlando I always trip over to West Palm Beach for some challenging drift diving. Enjoy

Blue Grotto (Williston) & Blue Springs (Orange) are much closer, however if the manatees are in at Blue, the Rangers won't allow divers in the spring. The Disney dive is pricey, but they supply all equipment. The dive is only 40 min long. I would stay with the springs since late Feb weather can be squirrely for the ocean

Homossassa Springs should still have many manatees at the head watres of spring. I was there last week and we had about 60-80. All sizes from large cows to pups. It is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Orlando. Can easily be done in a day trip.

Devil's Den and Blue Grotto are really close together, a lot of divers do both in one trip. Crystal River is also an interesting trip, they will let you scuba even if there are manatees in the water, which there usually are this time of year.

Have fun on your trip!

South of Sebastian Inlet beach diving can be fun if water is calm and clear. Will be chilly end of Feb
I have friends who dove "disney" and said it was fun. You use their "d" gear because of contamination worries.I used to like to dive Marineland but it is still closed after the hurricane damages. I would say go ahead and spring for the disney dive. Ginnie is fun too but pricey and you can see so much more at "D". Ginnie has lots of divers on the weekends and it gets stirred up and no fish because so many people. It is a small area. Beautiful, woodsy, above the water line. these springs are Best for snorkeling in my opinion. I have frequented the springs of Ginnie (7 of them I believe on that property) since 1979. It is fun to dive/ride the Santa Fe River current from Devils Eye down to the Ginnie run. The river is the color of whiskey and water, tannic. The springs are clear and 72 degress year round.
Lots of alligator gar fish in river, turtles. I've seen blind flounder in the cavern of the Ear. And albino catfish and black eels.
There are cave divers who frequent the area and also people diving who have no business there.
Rural, beautiful and somewhat of a drive from Disney. have fun whatever you decide.L

Dive Epcot!

Here's a NAUI online Dive Epcot coupon to take some of the sting out of the price. (link)

Other discounts are available to PADI OW card holders, WDW annual pass holders and (sometimes) WDW resort guests. Ask for the discount when you make the reservation, since that's when they will charge your credit card.

In the mean time, unless you are already going to be in the Orange City/Deltona/Deland area, this is the wrong time of year to chance a trip to Blue Springs. Its not worth the frustration of fighting the I-4 traffic only to find they aren't letting divers in because the manatees are onsite.

Thanks for all the great information! This site rocks -- its so great to connect with locals who know the diving.

Thanks again!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom