Diving nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I was guaranteed to get to the farther out wrecks, I would love it, and wouldn't mind paying the extra to get there. I believe the Kingston boats charge $70 to go to these when they can.

Yeah that sounds about right. Of course with where they are promising gas will go this summer there is no telling what we will be paying this year.

I would pay a premium to not get sea sick...but being retired Navy I also know how to control it on the smaller boats. It generally works right until I have to put my hood on, then I have to get into the water quick :drooling:

jjones
glad to hear you say that you would go out to the farther wrecks.
part of the mission statement includes planing to go to the farther out less dived on wrecks one main reason for it being i didn't see other charters catering to it specifically also that way hopefully I can work together with the existing charters as apposed to competing with them directly.
one reason I mentioned a nitrox only dive boat(well maybe half the week anyway)was soly on my Florida experience and felt nitrox divers were left in the cold when it came to the walk on style of boat. I under stand that to be different now and would modify my plan to not be exclusive to that.

so from what I'm getting:

bigger cruiser style boat (better over all comfort and better stability)
the ability to get to the farther out wrecks
pricing as close to about 70 for 2 tanks (or do we at this point stay out all day with a 3rd tank??)
food and drink
a great attitude(goes with out saying)
a instructor/dive master on every trip (free guide if some one wants maybe?)
hmm

I wish my typing would be able to show how excited I'm am about this and your last two posts just fully breathed some new life in to this for me I feel like this will be a good niche

if I'm not getting it or have forgot something you think I need please post it up.

Thanks again you guys for your input

last thing for the night
if my boat looked more like a personal cruiser the a dive boat would you think of it as a joke or would you think it was nicer then a work boat? it would be out fitted for diving though.

Mael

I for one, don't care what it looks like. As long it's got a sea kindly hull shape, enough beam to be stable and cover to get out of the sun. I know my wife would very much appreciate a decent enclosed head. A cruising designed boat, will give up a lot of cockpit space to allow for sleeping accomodations. If you're doing overnight trips, necessary, but for day trips, wasted space and more weight. With fuel costs, a nice diesel would help keeps expenses down. Generally not as fast as a gas engine, but dependable.

hey groundhog
any chance youll be toronto way some time soon?
it would be great to meet you and maybe talk about boat choices etc. if you cool with that.
Mael

I think the berths give it the opportunity to expand over nights maybe?
trip down south from north Carolina to Miami maybe?
also a much better way to get out of the wind/sun whatever shower.
i don't know i feel like it would be a great way to offer more
diesel now that is an excellent thought i cant believe a car guy like me never thought about that.

thanks Mael

If you're considering overnight, then berth space is good. Only problem with traveling in enclosed cabins, is people who are prone are much more likely to be seasick. A canopy (retractable canvas?) where you can get a bit of breeze but still get out of the sun or rain is nice. Or you could have a hardtop strong enough for those who want some sun to lounge up top.
I don't get to Toronto very often. I do usually go down to The Outdoor Adventure Show The Outdoor Adventure Show - National Event Management which is Feb 22, 23 &24 this year. Don't know for sure I'm going or what day yet. But we could hook up there if you'd like.
Every boat is a compromise. You need to decide what you want it to do and then look for the best fit. For example, for speed, weight is a major factor. You need to get the boat planing on top of the water, the more weight, the more power that requires and that means major fuel bills. For a displacement hull, max speed is a factor of your waterline length. Theoretical max speed in knots is 1.4 times the square root of the length of the waterline. So if you've got a 25 foot boat with a 22 foot waterline, you max would be 6.57 knots (7.56 mph). Move up to a 35 foot boat with a 32 foot waterline and it's 7.92 knots (9.12 mph). There are still weight vs power factors, beam (actually a wide beam can increase the actual length of the waterline) that will affect your actual speed. That part of the reason for supertankers and large container ships. The same power plant will move the longer tanker faster and still require the same size crew. Limiting factors become port capabilities and enough strength that the ship does break in the middle. They actually have to be careful loading/unloading now days, as too much in or out of a tank and the ends or the center, could break a ship in half!!!!
Anyway, keep in touch, maybe PM me a week or so before the Outdoor Show and we can set something up. You could consider a Canadian Power Squadron Boating Course (not the Boat Pro) to pass the winter. Even if you're hiring a captain, being able to operate and navigate your boat would be an excellent backup.

Mael

Something you are forgetting is that as boat captain you must make sure that the boat always has competent crew on board. You can't just go for a dive with the passengers.

Charter boat captains almost never get to dive when they are working.

Over night I don't think would be worth while in Kingston, as there are only a couple of wrecks which are farther out. As long as you had a boat that was fairly quick and stable in the big waves you would be ok. I would recommend having a look at the google earth shipwreck database from the OUC. It will give you an idea of where the wrecks are located in Ontario.

electric diver
I would be hiring a competent captain that has always been part of my plan from the onset.

jjones ya the overnight idea was something I was thinking about more for other places.
thanks Mael

I would pay a premium to not get sea sick...but being retired Navy I also know how to control it on the smaller boats.

I'd be willing to pay a premium for that magic trick...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom