Diving Oahu 11:15am then taking a flight to Kauai the next morning.. will I be okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Killjoy:
Just out of curiosity, why is it never mentioned that aircraft cabins are pressurized when discussing diving and flying? Wouldn't flying after diving be unsafe only in an aircraft depressurization? As a certified aircraft mech, I can tell you, aircraft depressurization during flight is EXTREAMLY rare.

However, the case discussed in this thread, I wouldn’t fly, high probability that the aircraft will not reach an altitude high enough to require pressurization.

Hi. As I understand it, all commercial flight cabins are pressurised to max 8,000 ft msl; for passenger survival. This fact is usually mentoned in various scuba training manuals, however, time to fly considerations are not based on expected cabin pressures, but are based on the expectation of ANY decrease in ambient pressure. In other words, DON'T increase altitude AT ALL very soon after diving.

Also, any commercial airline cabin depressurisation considerations shouldn't be a part of scuba training. I may be wrong, but I think this would almost always be considered a catastrophe. If this is happening, you have a lot more problems to worry about than your scuba offgassing and the chances of getting bent.

The flight from Oahu to Kauai probably gets to at least 15,000 ft. I hope that cabin is pressurized. Irregardless, a person is much more likely to get a hit by going to any altitude soon after diving. I guess you could plan your dive profiles using an assumption of 15,000 ft before a flight. But I think you may still have offgassing problems to consider depending of dive times.

It probably won't happen, but the chance is much greater.

Have a nice flight!

edit: Oh, jeez. Is this a troll post?

shaxs:
because the morning dives were deep dives and I didnt quite want to do such a deep dive since I have not dived/doven? in a year or so.

Yeah, AM Charters are one deep, one shallow...

Welp, the flight and trip was a great success... I am now engaged :) I dove North Shore with Scuba Drew and Dove the sea tiger (I think thats what it was) with Oahu Dive Center and the Enzo crew along with Charlie here from Scuba Board. Thanks for a wonderful dive trip everyone!!

you have a 50-50 chance on the Seatiger :wink: (YO-257/San Pedro would be the other wreck(s))

Congratulations on your engagement and good to hear you had a good time :wink:

shaxs:
Welp, the flight and trip was a great success... I am now engaged :) I dove North Shore with Scuba Drew and Dove the sea tiger (I think thats what it was) with Oahu Dive Center and the Enzo crew along with Charlie here from Scuba Board. Thanks for a wonderful dive trip everyone!!
Oh No! Worse than bent, he got engaged...:shakehead
Congrats and Im glad you had a good time.
Aloha

(This was posted BEFOE I saw you completed the trip, so I keep it here for future reference, since Hawaii has the inte-island flights.)
with a high-altitude (meaning pressurization altitudes, including use of oxygen, emergency procedures, etc). endorsement, let me tell you that you will be fine.
First of all, CABIN altitude refers to the pressure of the CABIN. Since most commercial aircraft have a cabin DIFFERENTIAL (meaning the pressure of the cabin versus the pressure on the outside) of 6.5-8PSI, that means that at 35000 ft, with (I'm using guesstimated numbers here) 7.0PSI differential, the cabin is at 8000 feet.

Therefore, the lower the plane is, assuming the same differential, the lower the CABIN altitude is.

If a commercial aircraft is flying at 15000 feet, which i have been told as well is the altitude most inter-island flights in Hawaii fly, it is viritually GUARANTEED that the actual air pressure inside the airplane will be SEA LEVEL. It won't even be 2000 ft.
in other words, the cabin pressure is variable at the discretion of the pilot, but can remain at sea level (or, more precisely, take-off level or landing elevation, based on the route) up to a certain altitude, depending on the max pressure differential of the a/c. But, if you consider an a/c has an 8000 ft cabin altitude at 35000 feet, it can maintain a sea-level cabin all the way up to 27000 feet.

And, with 20 hours surface interval, I'd do it anyway.

However, should the a/c depressurize, you're up a creek and you'll more likely than not get bent, especially given the swift nature of cabin depressurizations.

This information is not meant to be relied upon, it is for informational purposes only.

shaxs:
Well, the flight and trip was a great success... I am now engaged :) I dove North Shore with ScubaDrew and Dove the sea tiger (I think thats what it was) with Oahu Dive Center and the Enzo crew along with Charlie here from Scuba Board. Thanks for a wonderful dive trip everyone!!

Congrats on the engagement!!! I hope all went as planned and she was TOTALY suprised!!!
Thanks for being a great dive buddy at the cove.
DVD is on the way but here is a little teaser for ya!

Another beautiful day at Sharks Cove!
Drew

Thanks for all the congratulations :) Some funny comments. Marriage is worse getting bent...uh oh, I hope not! My roommate said I tied the knot to the noose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom