Diving off a small boat, need feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishy8411

Contributor
Reaction score
I own a 13' Boston Whaler. Which I might be taking out in the next couple of weeks to Lake Huron. My Parents have a house there and I figured I (and a buddy) would park the boat in front and get in some practice diving. I already have a ladder, that hooks over the side of the boat. I am also going to get a dive flag for the boat, and one to tow behind us. We will probably end up diving in forty feet of water or less. My plan is to flip over the side for entries. For exits, I will have ropes and bungie cords tied to the boat rails. We will tie up our gear to the rails and climb up sans equipment.

Does this sound doable? Any advice would be most appreciatted. I should mention that we will only being doing this in calm water conditions.

Thanks

Tom

Whalers are stable but with one that small I would suggest both divers do the back roll at the same time on opposite sides of the boat... that is what we have done using a small aluminum skiff.

Also getting back aboard if climbing over the side it is helpful to have the other diver on the opposite side hold onto the gunwhale as a counter balance.

I dive off a whaler as well. I don't know what the conditions are on Lake Huron but if it gets choppy or there is a current, tie that ladder to the boat. Also you may want to run a line from the bow (anchor line) and let it trail behind the boat with a float. If the boat is going to be unattended, make sure you have a good idea where it is when under. If its always like a bath tub then forget all this advice. However, surface conditions can change alot during a dive.

lhpdiver:
I dive off a whaler as well. I don't know what the conditions are on Lake Huron but if it gets choppy or there is a current, tie that ladder to the boat. Also you may want to run a line from the bow (anchor line) and let it trail behind the boat with a float. If the boat is going to be unattended, make sure you have a good idea where it is when under. If its always like a bath tub then forget all this advice. However, surface conditions can change alot during a dive.

That is a real good idea about tying the ladder to the boat, I would have missed that one. For our first few dives (probably do two each day), I was thinking about tying a rope (100 feet) to the boat or anchor line, and using that as a tether. In other words just swimming around the boat, with one hand on the tether line. Conditions can change on Lake Huron pretty fast, wish my Whaler rode higher out of the water.

Thanks
Tom

All your strategies are fine ,Just make sure also that you are well anchored, thats the first thing you check when you dive off your boat.Its a divers worse nightmare to come up and the boat is gone.

You may want to try practicing reentry with one person staying on the boat, to make sure you can climb the ladder, before you're both in the water, and find out you need help getting back into the boat.

I see you're already planning to have bungees & lines hanging to tie off equipment so you can climb in unencumbered, but it's useful to have one buddy remaining on board to observe (in case you left lines too short, etc.) the first time.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom