Diving on a budget - your tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely have considered NC, but it seems most of the interesting dives are fairly deep wreck dives. Kind of want some more practice before getting into those.

Is 60-80' too deep for you? I plan to dive Hyde & Markham off Wilmington, NC, during Labor Day weekend with Aquatic Safari Diver to see the sand-tiger shark.

Below is a recent thread that you may find of interest.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/suggestions-for-budget-friendly-early-december-dive-vacation.547793/

When comparison shopping be sure to pay attention to what is included in the stated price so that you are comparing apples to apples. For example, most Cayman resorts include the 13% government tax in their listed prices (but not all of them) and many Roatan dive ops do not include the 19% tax in their listings. Other "hidden" charges may include service charges, resort fees, marine park fees, fuel surcharges on liveaboards, etc. And if you dive Nitrox, keep in mind that there may be an upcharge for Nitrox. You also have to include tips for the dive op in your costs.

Liveaboards often seem like rather expensive dive trips but they frequently offer specials, and they may actually be one of the cheapest options when you consider the cost per dive as compared to a land-based trip, but they are usually week-long trips.

Everything is included except tips and you often get to dive the more remote and pristine dive sites. And they won't charge a single supplement if you are willing to share a cabin with a same-gender roommate. The Saba and St. Kitts trip offered by Explorer is one of the less-expensive liveaboards and it is very good diving, and they are offering some special prices in the upcoming months, see the link below. The Aggressor fleet often offers a 30% or greater discount in February for trips throughout the year.

https://www.explorerventures.com/30th-anniversary-sale/

...Grand cayman is also a SW route but that location is pricier I think

Cayman can be very expensive but there are diver-dedicated resorts that offer discounts and specials, and flights and rental cars are usually fairly reasonable. Right now Sunset House is offering a single diver special through the rest of this year on week long trips, see below. The price includes lodging, breakfast, 2 boat dives per day and unlimited shore diving on the house reef.

http://www.sunsethouse.com/specials/single-diver-special.htm

Sunset House is charging $1814 per week for their solo traveler, courtyard room, dive special through Dec 15, which is only $170 more than the price per person for double occupancy ($1642). They usually charge $2287 for single occupancy in a courtyard room with the dive package.

Sunset House Cayman Singles Special!
Tackling Being a Diver as a Single Traveler
$1,813.90 (Single Occupancy only)
Minimum seven night stay & six days of diving
Courtyard rooms only
Subject to availability
Valid for travel until December 15, 2017
Booking Period: Now - December 15, 2017

The Clearly Cayman resorts have small, diver-dedicated, off the beaten path resorts on all 3 Cayman islands, and very good diving. The resorts are all-inclusive and include everything except dive op tips and liquor, unless you buy a package that includes beverages. But the prices are per person double occupancy and there will be a significant single supplement charge if you travel solo. Most of the listed prices are per week but they will pro-rate the fees for shorter trips; see the links below.

Clearly Cayman

http://www.clearlycayman.com/divefree/

Last edited:
Firstly, since we are in the same area so I would invite you to join me and my buddies for a North Carolina trip. People overlook NC as a dive destination but there is hardly a place in the world that combines big animals and wrecks in the same place like NC does. Accommodation is dirt cheap as well because we share rooms. For a 3 days trip NC is the best option.

If you are hell bent upon using air miles then Bonaire, Roatan and Cozumel are hard to beat. In Bonaire you do not need a boat so hotel and truck is all you will pay for. Happy Holiday Homes is one of the cheaper options there and they are pretty decent. You have to purchase a dive package will have tanks and stuff and you are set for a week. Roatan has options that are expensive like Cocoview and Anthoney's Key and then it has budget options like Splash dive inn for half the price of the above two. I have not been to Cozumel but there are people here who can explain the options in Coz better than I can.

Lets think of NC first.

Could definitely be interested in this - I really like the idea of seeing big animals as well. How are currents there? I think that's what tends to make me the most nervous as a beginner diver.

Is 60-80' too deep for you? I plan to dive Hyde & Markham off Wilmington, NC, during Labor Day weekend with Aquatic Safari Diver to see the sand-tiger shark.

60-80' is no problem - I have my AOW and have been down to the 80-90' range or so. Just not looking to do extended dives down at 100-130ft or whatever. Strong currents/low vis concern me more than depth really.

Could definitely be interested in this - I really like the idea of seeing big animals as well. How are currents there? I think that's what tends to make me the most nervous as a beginner diver.

I have seen so many sharks in one dive that you just could not count them! People go to Cocos and South Africa and spend 6K to do the kind of dives we routinely do here for 130 USD. Plus some of the wrecks we have in our backyard are in the same league as the ones people go to Truuk lagoon for.

As for currents, this is the Atlantic and we can expect anywhere from mild to ripping. This is mostly at the surface and as we go deeper it gets milder. It has never been an issue as long as you follow procedure. Captains will always park the boat in line with the current so that when you jump in you drift towards the descent line and not away from it. There will also be a horizontal line at 30 feet which divers follow until they reach the descent line. It is not as hard as most people think on their first dive.

I'm looking for ways to do some quick trips to dive on over 3-4 day weekends.

Just how married are you to the idea of your total trip not running over 4 days? One day to fly there, at least a half day to sit out before flying back...that's leaving you 1 1/2 days diving, maybe 6 dives at some destinations, and the trip is in 'go-go-go' mode most of the time.

A trip I haven't made, but have thought about, would be to fly down & dive the Oriskany, as it's a special thing (I'm told I was born on a Navy base in Pensacola so that's a bit of nostalgia to the idea for me). That's probably one for when you're farther along, and weather can cancel it for you. Another fairly short trip weather can knock you out of for when you're more seasoned is a Flower Gardens trip aboard the Fling out of Freeport, TX, or one of the live-aboard boats out of California.

I guess to me a very short trip I'd aim to make with a goal to experience something new & special, rather than 4-6 more 'the usual suspects' reef dives (not that I don't love them!). The sand tiger sharks out of North Carolina seem popular for 3 days trips in my region.

Richard.

...I guess to me a very short trip I'd aim to make with a goal to experience something new & special, rather than 4-6 more 'the usual suspects' reef dives (not that I don't love them!). The sand tiger sharks out of North Carolina seem popular for 3 days trips in my region. Richard.

In general that is very good advice, but since the OP is a very new diver I think that some typical, reef dives in popular easy dive destinations might work best for him at this time.

Last edited:
I'm a solo new diver with spare weekends too. If you need a buddy in the USA or south, message me I'm usually free. Going to Florida myself in November and Cabo in December.

KathyV, very true. I meant in terms of when he gets a little more seasoned, assuming the 3-4 day thing may persist over time. Right now, mainstream reef dives will be new and special!

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom