Diving on the Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIVER2550

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
In the diving capital of the world--West Virginia
Just got back form a week on The Big Island of Hawaii. Very nice diving and the water--well 73 degrees with a 3 mil wet suit and a 3 mil hooded vest was toasty warm. Stayed at the Royal Kona Resort though an older hotel it was extremely comfortable and friendly, staff very accomidating, and very centally located to the downtown shops and activities(within walking distance).
While there I dove with a local dive company Kona Honu Divers for the Mantee dive. It was a tremendous experience and this company did an awesome job. They were friendly, professional, knowlegeable, and went that extra step to make the two tank boat dive memorable.
The shore diving was great. Since not knowing the area I made contact with a small company Divepuako (Divepuako.com) and an individual Jackson Seavy. We dove Puako with him(shore dives) and he was fantastic. He knew the dive sites-tides-currents-and entries. A unique quality or cetification--he can teach handicap diving. Jackson made the dives fun and added local flavor by recomending palces to eat-dive shops and activities. I would highly recomend this man for families that want shore dives for all ages(we had two young children in group and 4 adults. He met all of our expectations. He is very familiar with the west coast shore dive sites and can recomend if you want boat operators. Jackson if you read this great job!!!! Thanks Z

We loved diving with Jackson too!!!!

Glad you had fun. But smth must be wrong with my comp since it kept telling me the water was 78-79 F in early December.

Everyone dives on the Kona side. I use Cressi Archimede II. Maybe I need to put it into ice bucket for calibration :wink:))

The temp on my computer has gone from 81 to 76 since mid-November. Computers are all over the board when it comes to temp readings, no telling who's is correct, but the temp definitely dropped 5 degrees in a 2-3 week span.

The temp on my computer has gone from 81 to 76 since mid-November. Computers are all over the board when it comes to temp readings, no telling who's is correct, but the temp definitely dropped 5 degrees in a 2-3 week span.

Mine went down from 81-82 F in the end of Oct to 78-79 1st week of Dec. That is, 3-4 degrees F down.

Anything in the 70s would be good to me now, Our local lake is 42 "YUCK". Headed to Maui in march though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom