Diving on the Isle of Man

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roz

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Originally posted on the BSAC Forums.

Well after having our boat to the Mull Music Festival hijacked a couple of months ago by another group of divers (we've only been going there every year for the last decade), I've just got back from "an OMG where shall we go instead trip?" And all I can say was we had a corking long weekend on the Isle of Man. Gosh what a hidden gem! Loved it. Including the fact that I didn't have to drive for umpteen hours across England and a goodly part of Scotland to experience some cracking diving.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Isle of Man, take one part Cornish winding roads sans caravans, add a splash of Brighton Seafront Stucco Houses, a pinch of Stromness architecture and narrow lanes, a sprinkling of gaudy Gorse Bushes, a handful of stunning mountains, a pint of bikes and leather, shake and pour. Truly a beautiful island, v. clean, no litter, graffiti, etc so ideal for bringing along the non-diving partner as they can go exploring whilst you discover the underwater joys.

So the diving. Well cold, but it's a well known documented fact that the Roz-Diver gets cold and what do you expect at this time of year anyway. 10 degrees centigrade. A bit bloomy, but you can see the potential and stacks of marine life. Seals, HUGE scallops, lobsters, and the crabs were all in Berry. Also survived what was officially termed "a drift dive" but in real life was an ungodly full pelt tumble where I got to experience the full range of emotions from "I am going to die" to "wow cor blimey, yes please", and everything in between expect boredom in 6 minutes flat, when the loop of emotions would start again. (Can I just say at this point that I am glad that John at Kent Tooling is so OCD about his products and does tie his line on v. tightly onto his reels.........u/w skiing - a whole new joy). Pretty much to man we all surfaced with melon sized grins wanting to do it again right now please.

Dived with Steve and Michelle from Discover Diving (just Google "Discover Diving + Isle of Man") who have a nice roomy boat, even when everyone was on a box or twins, decent lift complete with CCTV (so guys if you want to take a whiz off the back don't do it on the lift otherwise everyone gets a ringside seat), proper tea on tap, a large loo (it makes a v. pleasant change having a pee in something somewhat bigger than a bouncing coffin), and a skipper who can actually drive his boat properly which is always a bonus. (Usefully DD can support any kind of diving including a full suite of gases etc).

Discover Diving can also provide self catering accommodation for 14 if desired. 4 bunks in one room, 8 in another and a separate double bed. V.v.v.v.v.v. snugly warm duvets, dishwasher, shower, 2 x toilets, kitchen/lounger and the most amazing view across the harbour. Well worth it, and with the Co-ops only down the road, it makes breakfast and sarnies for lunches dead easy to sort.

So the cost. Well approx GBPŽ£300 for car, petrol, ferry (split between 3 divers), 4 days diving (potential of 8 dives), and 3 nights accommodation with food and beer ontop. We caught the 02.00am ferry out of Lancaster on the Thursday night, and came back on the 20.00pm Monday night ferry.

Already planning to go back again later on this year and for a week next year. So if you're looking for a different location to dive, you really don't want to consider diving on the Isle of Man at all. You wouldn't enjoy it you know.

Glad I found this Roz, I just booked with Steve and Michelle for November 5th-9th. Apparently they never missed a days diving last year and the sea's been flat/calm for the past 2 Novembers so here's hoping. There's 10 of us and we've booked into the bunkhouse. I'll post a link to this review on our forum.
Joe from Diversinc

Meant to say Roz, we have an extra two spaces, (since Endeavour can take 12). Thurs 5th Nov - Mon 9th Nov. It would cost each £125 for the boat and £60 for the bunkhouse + whatever the ferry is for 2 of you. Checkout the on our website for details - but disregard the price as it was based on 10. diversinc.co.uk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom