Diving on the Spirit of Freedom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thespoons, I would love to hear how your diving went. Please share your thoughts when you get back.

Regards,

Bill

Posted a review on the liveaboard forum. You're going to love the trip!

BTW, we both wore 5 mils, no hood or vest and neither of us got cold. And it was overcast most of the time.

Read your review, thanks for the information. I can't wait until we get there. Our trip is scheduled for Jul of 2011.

Regards,

Bill

i did the sof in dec last year in a 3mm and did'nt get cold i think a 7mm may be a little warm and
a pain getting on and off 4to5 dives a day

Hi there. I live and work in Cairns as well as runnign a small booking site for divers. I am a dive instructor too and used to work on SOF.
Its a great boat anytime, and there are pros and cons of July as well as now. Sept - Nove are coming into peak season, and seas usually at calmest. December is technically start of wet / cyclone season, and that can run until April. But dont let that put you off. Rare to get cancellations from cyclones etc.
Feb nice and warm and visitors dropping off as it is summer is southern months.
May - June is our autumn if you like but very pleasant.

I agree with teh comment above about June - Sept for the Minke Whales. Highly recommended and a great experoence.
Do the Coral Sea as well as Cod Hole trip as you get teh added bonus of the shark feed.

Check out the link to my site as I can offer discounts on this trip, but by all means feel free to contact me for any unbiased comments or quesstions you want to ask.
It is definately teh best trip and vessel at present.
Mike Ball used to be the leder but I think SOF have the better boat now for sure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Discount dive travel to the Barrier Reef and Coral Sea - live aboard and day trips.

Cairns Discount Scuba Diving Trips - Great Barrier Reef

Thanks for the comments Aquapro, our local dive shop booked for Jul. Since you worked on the SOF, will a full 3 mil and a 5/3 mil hooded vest be sufficient for Sep or would you recommend a 7 mil suit? We will be on the 7 day boat and will do the Cod Hole and the Coral Sea.

Regards,

Bill

Depends on how you feel the cold and what tempertures you are used to. I think 7mm bit hot and restrictive. 3mm with teh hoodie will be fine. You can always use a boat sut over the top if you really get cold, but I cant see it.
I dive with 5mm long john - no top around that time.
Dive times are around 40 mins (can be bit longer) and you canalways warm up quickly when out, as it is a warm and beautiful time of year.
You will love it! Great choice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Discount dive travel to the Barrier Reef and Coral Sea - live aboard and day trips.

Cairns Discount Scuba Diving Trips - Great Barrier Reef

Back
Top Bottom