Diving outfits in Cairns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haggis

Reaction score
Hey there, wondering if anyone can help me out with good/bad/ugly dive outfits in Cairns. I'm going (hopefully!) this september, and I want to go to places like the cod hole etc. Also any idea what kind of thermal prorection you'd need (I currently dive in Scotland in a drysuit and have no idea about wetsuits).

Cheers m'dears

Hi there

Here are some names and numbers for you:

Cairns Dive Center 070-510-294
Deep Sea Divers Den 070-312-223
Deep 7 Seas 070-412-700
Down Under Dive 070-311-288
Great Diving Adventures 070-510-455
Pro Dive 070-315-255

There are heaps more but they all offer similar services. As far as protection goes, you'll need a sharkskin to protect you from the coral but thats it. The water temperature here is usually 29 degrees. Thats warm. Between you and I better diving can be found in Townsville just south of Cairns. They have the Yongala wreck, one of the best in the world, and its possible to get right out to the Coral sea.

Have fun

Hocky

Kangaroo Cruises run an excellent liveaboard trip from Cairns to Cape York, diving the outer reef and two excellent wrecks, the Warrnambool (a mine sweeper) and the Quetta (a passenger steamer). Both lie in quite shallow water and are excellent dives. In fact, the Quetta easily ranks beside the Yongala as the best wreck dive in Australia. The Kangaroo Explorer is extremely stable, with excellent facilities, and better food than any liveaboard I'vr been on.

Check out their site Kangaroo Cruises

Thanks guys, that's just the kind of info I'm looking for.
I'll agree that 29 degrees is pretty warm, as so far this year I've been in water that's around 3-7 degrees (and when I was in the 7 degree water I was thinking it was relatively pleasant!)

I might go to Cairns first, then through Townsville on the way back to Brisbane...I'm working all summer to fund this so I might as well enjoy myself!

Thanks again

Linda

My Friends and my Instructor say that Pro-Dive Cairns is very very good. :)

Originally posted by Aegir
My Friends and my Instructor say that Pro-Dive Cairns is very very good. :)

I can personally attest to that. I got my o/w cert with them!.

Well,I'm in Oz now and I'm going out with the Nimrod Explorer up to the Cod Hole tomorrow and then working our way back down. I'm also going out to dive the Yongala next week with Divers Dream in Townsville. I'll let ya know what I thought when I get back.

Linda

We went out on the Nimrod Explorer in October the year before last in mid-October-- actually, it was the day it changed ownership. Overall, an enjoyable experience, and the diving seemed to me to get better as we headed north towards Cod Hole. The water was in the 75-80 degree range (please forgive my lack of Celsius.) We had full 3/2 mil suits and brought hoods and were comfortable. Actually, I find the hood is helpful on multiple dive/multiple day trips, even in warm water, but then, I am used to wearing one.

Haggis,

We like Mike Ball for Aussie live-aboards. His head office is in Townsville, just down the road from Cairns. You can e-mail him at http://www.mikeball.com. Oh, yes, next year we are doing his Great White Shark dive--with, hopefully, Rodney Fox.

Joewr

Haggis

Hope you have a great time at the Yongala. Diving Dreams is the best dive operator in Townsville. The crew are fantastic, a really fun bunch of guys. The weather is fantastic here in Townsville so the diving will be supberb. The Yongala would have to be one of the best wreck dives in the world. Mostly because of the vast array of marine life so concentrated on the wreck.
Judy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom