Diving outfits in Cairns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wahey, I'm excited now as I'm heading off in about an hour, diving the reef tomorrow, and the Yongala the day after. I was truely stunned by the diving in the coral sea (had to practically hold my reg in on my first dive, as my jaw was nearly dropping open!). Very, very different to home. The crew of the Nimrod Explorer were really great, and the dives were ace. I think my favourite had to be Steve's bommie though.

catch ya later,

Linda

Hi Linda
How was the trip on the Divemaster?? Some of my buddies were doing a rebreather course on the same trip. They said the weather was pretty good. Let me know what you thought :idea: of the trip, it's good to hear someone elses opinion.

Where are you off to after Townsville?

Jude :) :)

The weather was ace, and the diving was good too. The sea was pretty much flat calm and the sun was out in force. I was a bit disappointed by the Yongala though. Our first dive on it was good, then 5 other boats appeared and dropped in a load of divers so it was bubble city down there! There were also divers down there that patently shouldn't have been, with what looked like a situation verging on panic, though I've since seen brochures that advertise O/W courses with dives on the Yongala as part of the course. I'm not an authority on diver training, but IMHO with the currents and possible depth, it's not a place I would take a brand new diver.

Aside from that though, I think the best part of it had to be hearing whale song , as it's not something I'm ever going to hear in the sea lochs of Scotland. The only problem was trying not to breath so I could hear it! There was tons of life around on the first dive...bull rays, sea snakes, fish species that I can't even begin to name, though the thrill of seeing huge batfish quickly waned!!

My one gripe was a couple of dives that weren't made overly enjoyable by the horrible tasting air, unitl they were convinced to change the filter on the compressor.

Who did you know who was on the course, Jude? I'm in Brisbane now, killing some time until I fly home tomorrow, but I spent some time in Airlie Beach sailing, and in Hervey Bay whale watching, which was fantastic, with two sub-adult humpbacks cavroting around the boat.

Catch ya all later (boo, have to go back to drysuits and faff now!)

Linda

Hi Linda

I bet you are sad to be leaving sunny Australia. :upset: So glad you enjoyed your trip out from Townsville. I know what you mean about the Yongala being bubble city. At least Divemaster usually gets there first and the early dive is usually the best. As they get you in the water by 6.30am it is almost like doing a night dive. Usually all the big night creatures are still around.

Sorry to hear about your air, in all my dives with them I have never had a problem. Unlucky for you.

Did you meet up with two guys called Wayne? I work with the thinner Wayne and the other belongs to my dive club. Both really nice guys. Did you have Dave or Lindsay (Kiwi) on as crew? I sometimes get to work on the boat as hostess in return for my dives. I haven't been out in ages but it looks like I'm on for next weekend, fingers crossed that the weather is OK.

Enjoy your flight home. Keep in touch. :) :) :)

Jude :froggy:

Haggis,

It is not really a good idea to dive with foul smelling air. It was probably just oil this time. However, if there is a problem that allows oil and exhaust air to be compressed into your tank, you actually could face serious injury.

Were I you, I would have refused to use it...

But I am glad nought happened and you are safely back in the
in the land of lochs and braes, lassie.

Joewr...checking the tilt of his kilt....

Yeah,I know that it was stupid to go diving with bad tasting air, but I guess that's peer pressure for you. I spent 2 dives in a not particularly nice worried mode, even though the crew insisted that it was just oil from the compressor. I know that that's really no excuse, and I should have known better, trust me when I say,if there's ever a next time, I WILL stand my ground.

On a different note,yep I met both the Waynes and I agree, they are nice guys. Didn't have Dave or Lindsay, but another kiwi, Tony.

Am recovering nicely from my flight to the UK in Londonfor a few days, then will head home and get back to the serious business of diving. Hmm, think I might organise a trip to dive the Breda....

Catch ya later,

Linda

PS Joewr,watch out for windy days when wearing a kilt in true Scots fashion...that, and fields full of thistles!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom