DIVING OVER 50 YEARS OLD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was suggested that people over 50 not be allowed to scuba dive. Personally that concept is way beyond unacceptable. Next is someone going to tell me I can't have sex because I might die? . . . .

Wouldn't the analogy be that the person with whom the old geezer is planning to have sex--analogous to a dive operator--is afraid he might drop dead in her bed from a heart attack? The bottom line here seems to be that the dive op doesn't trust that older divers are aware of their statistically increased risk, and so if an older diver believes he falls at the healthy end of the bell curve, then the dive op says he's welcome to provide a medical clearance as evidence. As an older diver, I would not be offended if a dive op or anyone else who fears I might keel over while we're far from medical help were to ask me to provide evidence that I'm in excellent health.

Ultimately, this issue (on a larger scale) will be dealt with when out of country health coverage is curtailed or restricted to certain activities for certain groups. Didn't I read here recently that DAN refused to insure someone who was 80 or something? As despicable as that is, it's a company's right to do that I suppose. If an insurer refuses coverage at 80, eventually that cutoff will become 70, then 60...

We had better start lobbying AARP to offer dive insurance!

Last edited:
As an older diver, I would not be offended if a dive op or anyone else who fears I might keel over while we're far from medical help were to ask me to provide evidence that I'm in excellent health.
I can understand an operator's desire to limit the aggravation of having to deal with dead or dying customers. Apart from it being bad for business, it's an extremely unpleasant experience. However, I just don't think that this "pre-screening" is feasible. The best he might hope for is that he has clients complete a medical questionnaire after the customer books. But turning that customer away at that point is going to be problematic. As I said at the outset, any dive op that states up front that I need to provide anything more than a standard medical form is not going to remain on my list of places to visit. Not because I am opposed to it (although I am), it's just not easy to do logistically, so I would simply go elsewhere.

Honestly, I am not sure that screening for incompetent divers might have a greater impact, although maybe not in this example due to the remoteness of the location, and so it isn't likely on most Newbies radar.

Perhaps a simple three-question form:

1) Are you old?
2) Are you unfit?
3) Are you a Newbie?

Everyone gets a pass on one affirmative answer, but if you answer two, or three "yes" you're out...

Last edited:
Ultimately, this issue (on a larger scale) will be dealt with when out of country health coverage is curtailed or restricted to certain activities for certain groups. Didn't I read here recently that DAN refused to insure someone who was 80 or something? As despicable as that is, it's a company's right to do that I suppose. If an insurer refuses coverage at 80, eventually that cutoff will become 70, then 60...

We had better start lobbying AARP to offer dive insurance!

You are 100% correct. DAN and AARP are insurance companies, they will do what is best for them, not you. What I posted earlier was if you ask one group to provide medical papers then everyone should provide medical papers. If you don't then this is wrong no matter how you look at it if you don't.

Perhaps a simple three-question form:

1) Are you old?
2) Are you unfit?
3) Are you a Newbie?

Everyone gets a pass on one affirmative answer, but if you answer two, or three "yes" you're out...

Got data???

What is the value, in terms of risk reduction, of such an approach?

What is the value, in terms of risk reduction, of such an approach?
I trust you appreciate that my tongue was firmly in my cheek...

Lorenzoid, the analogy is that the old geezer is plunging into the ocean not into the dive shop. Ergo . . .

If you can't get a third party to insure you, are you willing to take the risk? Should the hotel make you show them medical clesrsnce for your activity?

:wink:

Lorenzoid, the analogy is that the old geezer is plunging into the ocean not into the dive shop. Ergo . . .

If you can't get a third party to insure you, are you willing to take the risk? Should the hotel make you show them medical clesrsnce for your activity?

:wink:

Well, as I think someone mentioned many posts ago, it seems the OP is not just concerned about legal liability and being sufficiently insured but that there is also an altruistic component to it--as Stoo put it, "an operator's desire to limit the aggravation of having to deal with dead or dying customers."

I don't know what the best course of action is for the OP. Every option has some drawback to it.

Too true but for me, if someone has to take care of my body because I've passed on due to extracurricular activities in a hotel room, I'm awfully sorry for the inconvenience. Regardless, I'm not giving it up and I'm not going to get medical clearance to provide to the hotel manager either.

I'm a bit confused by this as dive insurance policies, particularly the top tier ones, include both very generous dive accident and reasonable non-diving medical coverage, as well as a number of potentially quite valuable related coverages at surprisingly reasonable prices, e.g., Dive Accident Insurance — Guardian Plan — DAN | Divers Alert Network, DiveAssure Diving and Travel Insurance Travel Insurance.

Am I perhaps missing the distinction that you are trying to make?

Cheers,

DocVikingo
Yep - I was way too subtle..."Top Tier Dive insurance" generally comes in way below generic travel insurance (dive insurance is a bit of a scam...) and costs less...

Anyone have golf insurance? No? Then why do you think need "scuba" insurance?

Dive Insurance caters to a "specialized fear" that scuba divers seem susceptible to. Divers seem to think scuba is special. It is (mostly**) not. My plain jane Blue cross travel insurance covers way more than any "dive insurance" package.

** If you happen to belong to a el-cheapo group insurance package via your employer, then they cut many corners (just like dive insurance) and exclude as much as possible. This is the same as generic credit card rental insurance not covering pickups or 4 wheel drive vehicles.

P.S. Dive insurance is also like buying special insurance for your scuba gear. My householder insurance policy covers ALL my possessions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom