Diving Picts--San Luis Potosi & Tamaulipas, Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its great there are divers out there with good camera skills....I can hardly operate a simple land shot without getting a portion of my finger in the final picture--LOL!!

John,

looks like a great experience. Thx for sharing the pics.

Please contact me later this week so we can make some traction on your set-up.

Nicco

Media Luna is near the town of Rio Verde. It is a thermal hot spring with a constant temp of around 85 degrees. Essentially it is a large cone that bottoms out about 90'. There are a couple species of fish that are unique to the lake. The most interesting features are "petrified" cypress trees and one of the channels exiting the lake has become completely overgrown giving it a cave feeling. The predominate plant in the lake stops growing at a depth of around 20'. It's a guess but, there is probably a gas held in solution by water pressure preventing growth at greater depths.

Media Luna makes for a nice day of diving and is an excellent site for OWC. I would visit the area again but not for a "dive trip". It is a very pretty area of Mexico with little to no foreign tourists. Unfortunately, the violence along the border and in Monterrey makes driving there from Texas dicey at best. Should you decide to make the run, spend the night in Satillo because of the delays getting your car/truck permits at the border. On the return trip, it's about a ten to twelve hour run taking the toll roads.

Excellent summary by driftwood. Only thing I disagree with is I would make it a diving trip, albeit not a Caribbean style trip. It would make a nice extended weekend trip where you could dive 3 or 4 times in Media Luna (don't miss a night dive), a few dives in Puente del Dios, and there's also a remote poza azul nearby called Los Perroles. Add in the flavor of authentic Mexico and it is a fun trip. I've done it a half dozen times.

Unfortunately, driving is a bit of a risk right now. Last year was the first in six years I didn't drive down. I think it's getting better, at least on the highways, as the military has stepped up patrols and the cartels are suffering from attrition. You could also fly into San Luis Potosi, rent a car, and make the 90 minute drive over on Mx70 through curvy mountain switchbacks.

If Puente del Dios is the water fall at the bottom of the canyon, we did that one as well. My legs felt the walk back up for a couple of days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom