Diving Pompano Beach, Boynton, Ft. Lauderdale by the Sea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tallpaul_colo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are staying near Pompano Beach for a long weekend (4 diving days, Labor Day), and are trying to decide where to go diving. We don't have AOW certs. or Nitrox certs, but we aren't newbies either (150+ dives for me). So I'm thinking a couple days in Pompano, and maybe a couple days somewhere else.

Any suggestions? Dive just Pompano, or ? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

FYI: I prefer dives of less than 120' primarily for bottom time reasons.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. If you have recommendations on Dive Operators, restaurants, other stuff to do they would also be appreciated.

Try Jupiter or Boynton Beach or West Palm Beach or Key Largo.

Jupiter operators include Jupiter Dive Ctr, Captain Sl8er, Stuart Scuba

WPB: Call Force-E and they'll find a boat doing the type of diving you want

Boynton: Under Water Explorers, Splashdown

All three areas are primarily drift diving. Jupiter has more sharks but all are good locations with most dives at 60-90 feet. It's worth doing a nitrox certification to maximize bottom time

In Key Largo: Conch Republic, Rainbow Reef, Horizon, Quiessece

We had a couple nice dives with Pompano Dive Center. Built I have no other local references.

Try Jupiter or Boynton Beach or West Palm Beach or Key Largo.

Jupiter operators include Jupiter Dive Ctr, Captain Sl8er, Stuart Scuba

WPB: Call Force-E and they'll find a boat doing the type of diving you want

Boynton: Under Water Explorers, Splashdown

All three areas are primarily drift diving. Jupiter has more sharks but all are good locations with most dives at 60-90 feet. It's worth doing a nitrox certification to maximize bottom time

In Key Largo: Conch Republic, Rainbow Reef, Horizon, Quiessece

Labor Day weekend is getting into prime Goliath Grouper aggregation. Underwater Explorers calendar is filling up, see the website Underwater Explorers Kevin Metz is the Castor King, in my opinion, the best site for Goliath Grouper aggregation in SE FL. This is a deeper wreck, you really should be nitrox certified to get the most out of it.

Nitrox certification can be done mainly online (PADI...) After the online portion, go to your LDS and analyze a couple of tanks. This would really be the way to go. Same goes for diving Jupiter, the drifts are deeper, 25 minutes on air, 45 minutes on nitrox.

Best of luck, enjoy your FL trip

You really should have nitrox certification for almost all of the diving in that area. You should have significantly longer dives if you do.

Pompano Beach area shops include Pompano Dive Center, South Florida Diving Headquarters, and ScubaTyme, all located within feet of each other, so there is not much to choose from in terms. I have used the first two and don't have a problem with either. Not too far away is Parrot Island diving. I used to use them regularly quite a few years ago. I thought they went out of business, but they are definitely in operation. A bit north of that is Dixie Divers. I used to use them regularly when I stayed closer to where they are. My only concern with them--and it is a big one--is the number of times I got a call the morning of a dive to tell me they were canceling because not enough divers had signed up. It can be tough to find a new dive at that point.

here's another option....lauderdale by the sea for beach dives.......you have gold coast scuba and deep blue divers for equipment, tanks and weights.

Tommy at Boynton Beach Dive Center can get you on a boat
Boynton Beach Dive Center | HOME

I'd also recommend the American Dream 2 based in Ft Lauderdale - great boat, great crew - they do 70' wreck/ 30' reef almost every day.
ScubaFortLauderdale.com - Home of the American Dream II

I've heard great things about this boat as well:
South Florida Scuba Diving with Diversity Charters,South Florida Dive Boats,Diversity Dive Charters South Florida,Boca Raton Deerfield Palm Beach Ft. Lauderdale,scuba diving boats south florida,south florida scuba diving,florida scuba diving charters

About 25 mins north of Boynton is Blue Heron Bridge - usually a great shore dive there. Theres a thread in this forum area called BHB trolls - you can hit up Scuba Jenny there - she's imo the best guide for the bridge.

Theres tons of beach dives up and down the coast from Boynton to Ft Laud as well.

Underwater Explorers in Boynton and Diversity in Boca are great boats, I would not recommend Dixie Divers. It's a good bought with a good crew, but it's a big cattle boat that soemtimes (weekends) does joint snorkeling/dive trips. Those trips go to the Pompano drop off which you can swim out to from the beach (about .5 mile). It's only about 35' at the deepest, third reef is much better.

I only recommend BHB if conditions are too poor for the ocean. I'm probably in the minority here, but find it to be a boring dive.

Underwater Explorers in Boynton and Diversity in Boca are great boats, I would not recommend Dixie Divers. It's a good bought with a good crew, but it's a big cattle boat that soemtimes (weekends) does joint snorkeling/dive trips. Those trips go to the Pompano drop off which you can swim out to from the beach (about .5 mile). It's only about 35' at the deepest, third reef is much better.

I only recommend BHB if conditions are too poor for the ocean. I'm probably in the minority here, but find it to be a boring dive.

I often go out at BHB when I can't get out in the ocean. I generally go out mid-week and avoid the crowds, but in off-season, the weekends can be fine. I love the dive, a couple of hours of fun and relaxation

I had South Florida Diving booked for two trips yesterday. They called me last minute to tell me that the morning trip was cancelled due to a customer cancelling. Aggravating but I understand. But when they also revealed to me that they didn't have my reservation for the afternoon trip at all, that kind of did it for me. I walked down to Pompano Dive Center and they were not running trips that day but I did get on with Scubatyme for the Lady Luck. But once we got to the wreck the captain called it due to a 3 kt current so we did a reef drift dive instead. Good operation though. I highly suggest staying at the Sands Harbor resort. They had a diver's rate of $99 a night. Hard to beat and the property is beautiful and the staff is top notch!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom