Diving Qatar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTA

Reaction score
ok! Have searched the forum and come up with 2 msg on Qatar with no replies - so am trying again!

Has anyone heard of diving/dived in Qatar? I'll be there for a couple of days in April and would love to fit some diving in.

Worked there for a couple of months, didn't do any diving.
Most of the diving there is shore diving. And according to some not very good. Lots of restrictions because of oil/gas pipe lines.

Hi TTA,
Lived in Qatar for a year (today). Bubble-og is correct that most diving here is shore diving. There are a few man made reefs (cars, boats, etc) at 12-18 meters and many natural reefs offshore at about 5-10 meters. There are many wrecks in the area but most are 30-100 kilometers offshore and require a quick boat to make the trip worthwhile. The visibility is normally 6-10 meters from shore unless you are lucky. That said, I dive here every weekend at a minimum and at night during the week now and then.
Once in a while dolphins come calling as well as turtles. Other than that, local marine life is grouper (known as Hamour locally), Big Blue Angels that are very tame, puffers, Fasker, King Fish, Jacks, etc. It is <not> like Oman but if your here...

In any case, let me know if you wanna dive :)

Hi Anton,

i'm gonna go to DOHA around 11-15 April 04 and hope i'll get some days off (not sure), if so, i'm interesting in diving there if there is any nice places, you have any rekon. Also how much in roughly? wrecks is quite interested. Is there any good big wreck.

or anybody've been there? :15a:

Anton, I've been in Doha for the past few weeks working. Leave tomorrow. Asked around at two of the dive shops about excursions and about the local diving to see if it was worth bringing my gear back when I return on 22 April. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to dive some when I get back. Let me know. Thanks

John

Thanks for all your replies! You mentioned that there were 2 dive shops around...are they easy to find and do they look good?

Thanks!

The shops are okay... prices here are higher than the other places in the gulf though. The selection varies greatly as depleted stocks take a while to be refilled due to the length of time for shipping etc. The problem is not only with the dive shops though :) We normally have to go to 2 supermarkets for one round of shopping since one may run out of basic things like sour creme etc. The shops have the usual rental gear, cylinder filling, etc. though. One does nitrox now but I think another will start soon. They are easy to find but taxi drivers probably don't know them :)

TTA:
Thanks for all your replies! You mentioned that there were 2 dive shops around...are they easy to find and do they look good?

Thanks!

hi there...i will be traveling to Qatar/DOHA in the first week of DEC 04 - any suggestions, hook ups? Antwon - where can I find you/your dive group?

Roxanne and Greg

anton:
Hi TTA,
Lived in Qatar for a year (today). Bubble-og is correct that most diving here is shore diving. There are a few man made reefs (cars, boats, etc) at 12-18 meters and many natural reefs offshore at about 5-10 meters. There are many wrecks in the area but most are 30-100 kilometers offshore and require a quick boat to make the trip worthwhile. The visibility is normally 6-10 meters from shore unless you are lucky. That said, I dive here every weekend at a minimum and at night during the week now and then.
Once in a while dolphins come calling as well as turtles. Other than that, local marine life is grouper (known as Hamour locally), Big Blue Angels that are very tame, puffers, Fasker, King Fish, Jacks, etc. It is <not> like Oman but if your here...

In any case, let me know if you wanna dive :)

roxannep:
hi there...i will be traveling to Qatar/DOHA in the first week of DEC 04 - any suggestions, hook ups? Antwon - where can I find you/your dive group?

Roxanne and Greg

Hi Anton! How did the big trip go?

Hi roxannep!

Been here in Qatar for the last 14 months - and joined the local BSAC branch a few weeks ago. Since then, I have done at least two dives a week, sometimes a lot more.

We do a night dive on what is called the Old Club Reef every Thursday evening, and there is always a boat dive at the weekend as well as a shore dive.

Anton is right (he helped me out a lot when I first came on here) the viz is not always great, but there are some nice wrecks.

I personally went on a great weekend trip a few weeks ago. Went camping on a desert island on the Thursday night, and did three dives including a great dive onto a wrecked dhow at 20 metres.

There is also the M.O. - not dived it yet but it is a great wreck, about 20m high from top to bottom and home to a colony of barracuda.

There is also terry's Tug at about 32 metres and lots of other good wrecks out in the Gulf.

Current can sometimes be a problem, and can make some dives quite demanding.

If you are a well qualified diver, you can join my club on some trips if there are spaces. We allow this quite often.

If you want, leave a message on here, I'll give you my email and my number here in Qatar.

I'm sure between us, Anton and myself can hook you up with some good dives.

Folks
Any divers in Qatar are welcome to come allong to the local BSAC club on a Tuesday evening.We call it DSAC ( Doha sub Aqua Club) All are welcome, any cread, colour or disipline. No body is turned away. We currently have about 150 members and dive on shore mostly but there are allways trips being run to various sites offshore. We have our own club house and Bar as well as a very busy training schedule. All of which is BSAC.
When you arrive in Qatar ask at any of the dive shops where our club is and they will all be able to tell you. But if you still cannot find it then look for the Oasis hotel, Its near Ras abu fly over. We are on the 2nd turning on the right after the flyover and have port and starboard lights on our gate. Try any Tuesday night at about 1930-2000 hours.

Back
Top Bottom