Diving Qatar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Friday July 20th 2012 Boat Dive
Friday morning in sunny Qatar with a slight breeze and rolling seas we loaded the boat and headed out to John’s Eel Garden. The trip takes a little over one hour in normal conditions. 10 people on board today. With spring tide running the first anchor attempt failed to secure the bottom. With the second attempt being successful and all safety lines attached including the rear line and float the first batch of 6 divers dropped in the water. The visibility today is about 6 to 10 meters which is very good here in this part of the gulf. The first wave completed the last four of us descended to the depths. Barely reaching the bottom a couple of good size eagle rays did a fly by. What a way to start the dive. The usual suspects were on hand. Several moray eels, hundreds of yellow snapper, box fish, barracuda and countless other fish of all descriptions. Large groupers were everywhere to be seen but the prize was the very friendly spotted ray who is quite happy to have his picture taken. The second dive to the same location was a great success. Two of the four being on air went up the anchor line upon completion of their dive. The last two of us on enriched air sent the anchor up with a lift bag and then carried on with a drift dive. Two more spotted rays sleeping on the bottom along with two quite large barracudas giving us a good look over. Soft and hard coral spread out along the bottom with some rather nice barrel coral as well. Dive and safety stop completed we surfaced, rechecked the headcount before the trip home. Two miles from our home dock we spotted a group of 10 to 12 dolphins milling around. We stopped to watch them for a few minutes. There were juveniles in with the group so we did not disturb them for the obvious reasons. What a way to finish yet another fabulous boat dive in Qatar. Thanks again to all people on board for coming on the trip and also for everyone assisting in loading and unloading the boat.

Friday July 27th 2012 dive to Huwailah Barge.
Sorry folks a bit late out the gate with this message regarding last Friday’s dive. Busy at work, poor excuse but better than none at all. We were off the marina and headed out to another sunny and calm day here in Qatar about 7:45. Today we are going to Huwailah barge which is about 19 nautical miles out. The site consists of a small tug and barge that went down in a storm. The wreck site is at a depth of 18 meters so it is open to all classes of divers. The visibility was not exceptional but 4 of our divers were keen to share the photos they took on the day much to the delight of all our divers. 3 old fish baskets to cut open allowing the fish to escape as the ropes were caught on the wreck and could never be retrieved by the fishing dhows. A beautiful big turtle was around the wreck along with barracuda, trevally, snapper and groupers. Very nice cowrie shells alive and well inside the wreck along with some murex shells of varying sizes. Between dive 1 and 2 a friendly fishing cormorant decided to visit me in the stern of the boat, picture below. After realizing we had no fish for him and giving us a bit of entertainment he was on his merry way.

The second dive was also a great success as I led the new divers who had not been on the site on a guided tour. Another great dive day concluded we headed for home with another set of fond memories.
Cheers, John

Friday August 17th 2012 dive report
I think we have all heard the saying it cannot get any better. I think the group of divers we had yesterday can fully relate to this common saying. Having said that the day out and the diving was simply yet another fantastic day in Qatar offshore on the boat. Although the day was starting to warm up quickly with a temperature of 36 (heat index 53, humidity 75%) at 0900 and going to 42°C for the day it was perfect. Very light Sea for the 40 minute boat trip to Huwailah barge and Tug which is sitting in 18 meters of water. Although meant to be spring tides the current was remarkably light and the visibility was some of the best we have ever seen here. 8 of us in total on the boat. Safety lines in place and securely anchored right beside the Tug the first set of divers descended on the site. To their amazement the resident full grown turtle was home in the tug. He was seemingly oblivious to the divers as it was turtle cleaning day. Throughout both dives our turtle totally ignored us being busy using the wreck to clean barnacles from his head, fins and shell. To be able to witness this type of event is not an everyday occurrence. With the first group of divers safely back on board we headed for the bottom. I ran a line from the tug to the barge so the first group could enjoy a dive around the barge as well on the second dive having missed it on the first one. On both dives with the visibility being so good all were impressed by the amount of marine life they could see around the site. The pictures that were taken and shared by Kira are brilliant. We cannot thank her enough for kindly sharing her collection of photos from the day with us all. Everyone who was on board for the day can take a well-deserved bow. It is such a pleasure to see everyone help with the boat and each other. On another note, congratulations to Shawkat on completing his PADI dive master training yesterday with Jamal and joining the dedicated PADI professionals. A lot of determination, dedication and hard work by this young man to get there but well worth the effort. My sincere thanks to all for making it yet another very special dive day in Qatar. With any luck and good conditions John’s Eel garden should be our next trip out.

Hi Merida Divers,

I am currently living in Doha and would like to do some dives here during the weekend.
Can you please advise how I can do this? Do you organise these trips or is it with some dive centres?

Thanks!

Although it is winter here as well and the water temperature is 17°C we still dive as much as we can. The boat will be going out again this Friday. We have not decided which dive site yet. It will depend on how many on board and the sea condition will also be a factor. Perhaps John's Eel Garden or the MO or Pericles wreck. Time will tell. I will update after the weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom