• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Diving recommendations for Maldives

Discussion in 'Maldives' started by Shraddha H., Dec 29, 2015.

1. Shraddha H.

Shraddha H. Angel Fish

Hey guys!

Me and my husband are planing on traveling to Maldives this coming year in March. We are PADI Open Water Certified and want to do our Advanced Open water training in Maldives. We would very much appreciate suggestions about the best possible dive sites to spot both mantas and whale sharks considering that we do not want to stay on a Liveaboard! We are open to booking any resort provided it has excellent diving and an opportunity to spot both mantas and whale sharks :)

Thanks so much in advance!
    Shraddha

2. Freewillow

Freewillow Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Your best bet is on an island on the south side of the Ari Atoll :)

Shraddha H. likes this.
  3. Tippytoes12

Tippytoes12 Manta Ray

Boutique Beach apparently has regular spots of both...we hope to go there in May after. Liveaboard. However when you add up the costs you will find that resort diving with taxes and all of the extras may be way more expensive than a liveaboard.

Shraddha H. and chillyinCanada like this.
  4. Shraddha H.

Shraddha H. Angel Fish

Yea, thats what we have been reading. So we are considering Moofushi Resort which takes excursions for whale sharks and will hopefully also take us to a manta cleaning station.

Thanks so much! :) :)

---------- Post added December 30th, 2015 at 03:36 AM ----------

Yea I guess it will be more expensive. My husband is not keen taking a liveaboard though. I will look up Boutique Beach thanks! We are also considering Constance Moofushi Resort right now.

5. Freewillow

Freewillow Divemaster

Well, try to convince your husband for the liveboard. I have done both liveboard and resort and I would not go back to a resort.

Not only are liveboard cheaper, certainly in $$$$/dive but also the selection of spots and the variety will be much larger, you will have more free time and above all, you will be with fellow diver with the same passion to share. In resorts , you will be surprised to see that only a small minority belongs to the diving community.

6. OnTheSpot

OnTheSpot Manta Ray

7. d.m_danny

d.m_danny Angel Fish

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    But moofushi doesnt has a whaleshark.trip to south atoll area, it can be 2hours speed boat trip with extra trip cost.
    i suggest near lux resort area!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  8. chadmeister

chadmeister Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Hello @Shraddha H.

Where did you end up going? I am looking into Maldives for September...

Thanks!

9. NYCNaiad

NYCNaiad Dive babble all day long Staff Member

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Not sure about Shaddha, but I went on a Maldives liveaboard trip & it was magical! I saw so much more than could be seen on just a dive resort. Highly recommend it.

10. jfe

jfe Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499