Diving Resorts on Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amybmak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking about a dive trip to Grand Cayman in July and am wondering if there are any diving-focused resorts/hotels? I'm looking for something similar to Brac Reef Beach Resort or Little Cayman Beach Resort, where there's a dive shop on-site.

Sunset House south of Georgetown or Cobalt Coast on the north end are the two semi-AI resorts. Both bundle diving/room/breakfast and IIRC Cobalt Coast has a optional meal plan.

There are other resorts with on-site dive opearators but most are resorts/condos with diving.
ex: Comfort Suites on Seven Mile Beach has Ambassador Divers on-site - but the diving is done elsewhere.
There's a few others also - Lighthouse Point Condos has the other Divetech location on site.

Most dive operators pick you up anywhere along Seven Mile Beach. Depending on who/where you're staying a couple do it by boat off the beach. There's no shorediving off SMB, the reef is too far out. It's closer in/south of Georgetown and on the north end.

On the East End Ocean Frontiers is co-located with Compass Point condos. They offer a bundled deal.

If you want the quiet of Brac/LC it's the East End. There's no shore diving out there afaik.

Thanks! I'm looking less for the quiet of Brac/LC and more for the diver-friendly amenities (breakfast starting before it's time to be on the boat, gear locker so I don't have to schlep my stuff back and forth from my hotel room, etc).

What's the difference in the diving between the East End and the West End?

Our LDS went to Sunset House this Spring and it sounds like the type of place you want.

Hubby and I are booked in for December because of all of the factors you list. You can shore dive 24/7 there, lockers, dive shop, resto etc.

yep, Sunset House, Cobalt Coast, and Compass Point are about it for options. (Maybe Lighthouse Point, but haven't seen or heard much so dunno.) You'd think a place as famous for diving as Cayman would have more, but not. Part of it is the areas where it makes sense to locate something like this (physically and economically) are limited. There were a few others in the past but they got wiped out by hurricanes and/or other real estate development.

The diving is generally much more "worn" on the West End (part of the reason I'm not a big fan of Sunset House, since that's mostly where they dive, and their shore diving is pretty worn IMO too.) But it's for sure a real dive resort.

Cobalt Coast is also a real dive resort, though depending on the time of year weather conditions may not allow the boats to leave from their dock (they'll drive you to a more sheltered dock.) And the on-site shore diving can be blown out, though you can go to the other shop at Lighthouse Point and probably have better conditions. Summer is the best bet if you really want those things on site.

Compass Point is doesn't have shore diving and I'm not sure they have a place on site to eat, but nice place and great op. Since they're condos I'd just shop for breakfast and lunch stuff, then no worries about time. Also great gear facilities which you don't even have to use as they will do everything (gear on and off boat, wash gear, hang suits to dry.)

Has anyone actually rented at Lighthouse Point? Is there actually a place to eat there? (There's a place called "Salt Cafe" mentioned on their web site.) It seems that website hasn't been updated in a long time, lots of references to 2009. Where are Divetech's boats usually leaving from nowadays, do they use the docks in north sound and the public dock anymore, or do they use Lighthouse Point?

I would rate Compass Point as an excellent option. The diving is actually quite similar to Little Cayman, in that the topography is spectacular. Also, there is very little development around there, also similar to Little Cayman. One difference is that there is not an on-site restaurant, but there are a lot of good restaurant choices in a 5-10 minute driving radius. In particular, I thought that the Portofino restaurant was great. I agree with the idea of shopping for breakfast and lunch supplies. The two times that I stayed there, that worked out very well. The dive operation there (Ocean Frontiers) is fantastic, and they take you to a lot of excellent dive sites. I have not stayed at the other two choices mentioned (Cobalt Coast and Sunset House); however, I have talked to people who have been to all three, and Compass Point usually comes out on top.

July is an excellent time to go, as that is when the silversides populate many of the dive sites. Here is a link to my set of Flickr, if you want to have a look.

2010 grand cayman - a set on Flickr

Hope this helps.
-Erwin

I tend to agree with Damselfish. I have stayed at Sunset and Cobalt but not at Lighthouse or East End. Lighthouse is not a dedicated dive resort in my opinion, but is a group of condos on top of a dive shop. No restaurant on site. The shore dive at Lighthouse is good, but not as good as at the Turtle farm or Cobalt.

Cobalt has a dive shop, restaurant and good shore diving. If the area is too rough, they will bus you to the dive boats and you can also shore dive at Lighthouse as part of your package. As you are planning a summer trip, the winds will probably be light and the sea calm.

Sunset is a real dedicated dive resort but in my opinion, the shore diving is not great there and their boats tend to go to the West side dives which are no way near as good as Nort and East ends of the island.

The East end diving is excellent and Lighthouse is lovely. Good dive operator and lovely setting, but no shore diving and isolated.

If I went back to GC, I would opt for Cobalt Coast, or rent a condo and put together my own package with an operator like Wall to Wall or Dive & Stuff.

Correction; I meant Compass Point at East End in my second last comment.

Apologies,

Cobalt Coast/DiveTech is an excellent choice. My son and I were there in 2007 and 2008. Great resort, very good operator, superb on site restaurant/meal option, superior shore diving from the resort and Lighthouse Point. The North Wall is dazzling. I would return there in a minute and have no hesitation recommending it.

That being said, we'll be visiting Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers this September. I've always wanted to dive East End of Grand Cayman, they routinely get great reviews.

Good diving, Craig

Cobalt Coast/Dive Tech are great. Dove there yesterday. There's been a steady North-South current this week that kept shore divers out of Lighthouse. At the end of our shore dive at Cobalt the rollers started coming in and beginning to break at the ladder. I've seen worse there, but it's not for the weak or inexperienced diver. I hear October is a better time for calm seas. Ocean Frontiers is also great. Did a few boat dives with them several years ago and also did a shark dive with them when it was permitted. They were very professional.

Edit: While were at Cobalt the dive boat reported seeing 3 hammerhead sharks at Tarpon Ally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom