Diving Safely Without A BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like I'm going to have to get an old double hose regulator if I ever want the chance to dive Silver Springs! :eek:

Actually those divers were from all parts of the US, even Cali. I heard some Florida diver actually wrote the governor wanting to know how we got in and he couldn't.

A few years ago, twin Navy non magnetic 90"s, DA Aquamaster and UDT vest.

DSC00264%20Small.jpg
Great photo, and I see that the reserve lever has been pulled too.

Here's several of my photos from the U.S. Naval School for Underwater Swimmers, using similar gear, 1967.

SeaRat

Attachments

• USS diver exiting.jpg
    USS diver exiting.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 47
  • USS Divers waiting.jpg
    USS Divers waiting.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 40
  • USS--Deep Dive surfacing.jpg
    USS--Deep Dive surfacing.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 46
Looks like I'm going to have to get an old double hose regulator if I ever want the chance to dive Silver Springs! :eek:
Actually, this is mostly a closed event, and it is not just any double hose regulator, you need a AMF Voit regulator that was actually used during the filming of Sea Hunt in the late 1950s.

SeaRat

US Divers double hoses are allowed but only with black hoses, no yellow ones.

I have been diving without a BCD for the past 2 years, albeit in warm waters between 26-30 deg. It's very liberating.

Attachments

• IMG_20150503_202934.jpg
    IMG_20150503_202934.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20150503_074838.jpg
    IMG_20150503_074838.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 46
Wish it was an option here but with a minimum 7mm wetsuit or drysuit a requirement for anything over a few minutes in the water it would be near impossible to get the weighting right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom