Diving shirt design idea, input would be very appreciated.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boozegood

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all! So this is a very simple design I've come up with that I can't believe doesn't exist, as far as I can find:

diveshirt.jpg

This is extremely extremely rough of course, haha, but you get the idea.

I'm not asking anyone to say whether they would actually buy it from me, just that would this be a design you could see yourself wearing? Though, if there seems to be an interest, I will make some.

Thanks!

sort or looks likes a crossing guard vest. keep thinking.

welcome to the board. happy diving.

I shall! Thanks. That literally took only a couple min, heh, I'm workign on one with much deeper red, like an actual dive flag. I was thinking of putting 'Same Planet, Different World' along the side of the waistline.

For what it's worth the dive flag has a proportion to it. If you look it up I think you'll find that it's 5 units wide and 4 units high. The stripe is 1 unit in width. Keeping those proportions in mind you may come closer to evoking a dive flag recognition.

Pete

For what it's worth the dive flag has a proportion to it. If you look it up I think you'll find that it's 5 units wide and 4 units high. The stripe is 1 unit in width. Keeping those proportions in mind you may come closer to evoking a dive flag recognition.

Pete

Thank you, I was just trying to look into that actually. As well as the way the corners cut off the stripe on the actual dive flag, somehow evoking that as well.

Back to the drawing board! Well...the drawing board for the first time really, hah, that was MS Paint shenanigans =P.

Sorry mate but it's really not to my liking, I'd never be seen anyware near that shirt unless it was on a pole and floating 20 mtrs above me.

Seriously dive flags are not flattering and not a cool symbol. It's a horrid symbol to put on anything. I fully understand it's importance in keeping divers safe however it is not very wearable. Not only that don't you think the whole dive flag thing has been over done? Is that how you really see yourself? Do you just wear stuff because it has some gimmiky symbol on it? If you were into motorbikes do you look for brands that have a helmet on it? No you go for brands that actually look good like. Fox , alpinestars, and so on. Does a fox have anything to do with a motorbike? No. That's why it's popular, because it's not trying so hard and things that try hard fall into a wanker catogory and you will find that real divers won't buy your crappy try hard shirts anyway. Come up with something original. That is my oppinion. Think of all the extreme sports out there, now think of all the brands and symbols that are popular that go with those sports.... Not many that actually resemble anything to do with the sport hey.

Sorry mate but it's really not to my liking, I'd never be seen anyware near that shirt unless it was on a pole and floating 20 mtrs above me.

Seriously dive flags are not flattering and not a cool symbol. It's a horrid symbol to put on anything. I fully understand it's importance in keeping divers safe however it is not very wearable. Not only that don't you think the whole dive flag thing has been over done? Is that how you really see yourself? Do you just wear stuff because it has some gimmiky symbol on it? If you were into motorbikes do you look for brands that have a helmet on it? No you go for brands that actually look good like. Fox , alpinestars, and so on. Does a fox have anything to do with a motorbike? No. That's why it's popular, because it's not trying so hard and things that try hard fall into a wanker catogory and you will find that real divers won't buy your crappy try hard shirts anyway. Come up with something original. That is my oppinion. Think of all the extreme sports out there, now think of all the brands and symbols that are popular that go with those sports.... Not many that actually resemble anything to do with the sport hey.

I see what you are saying, though I think clothing like Fox is gaudy and alpinestar is a bit to close to affliction in the way they often clutter their shirts with design elements. I think the dive flag actually has a bit of potential behind it, I like the simplicity. I'm not saying this very rough draft of slapping a dive flag over an entire shirt will be the final product, but the idea of a shirt integrating a dive flag in a non-stick-on type of way appeals to me.

So, though I do understand exactly what you are saying about sports-branding, I wasn't looking at this design in that way. It's just eye catching and has potential for a streamlined shirt design.

Sure, each to there own. But I still think it's been done. A dive flag is certainly not original. If it's just for you to wear then success! You just designed a shirt that met it's design criteria ( to please you), if it's for sale to gen y and gen z, the major consumers then as a gen y'er I will not be purchasing this shirt and I doubt whether anyone else my age will.. It's boring and lame. fox and alpinestars no matter how bad you think they are or overdesigned, the sell to the majority for a reason. Because the look good. There clothing make women look hot to men and men hot to women. Perhaps you should ask a female whether she would want to be seen with you in your flag shirt. Ps I'm really trying to give good honest advice as if you were looking to turn this into a buisiness. I'm not having a go at you at all. :)

Sure, each to there own. But I still think it's been done. A dive flag is certainly not original. If it's just for you to wear then success! You just designed a shirt that met it's design criteria ( to please you), if it's for sale to gen y and gen z, the major consumers then as a gen y'er I will not be purchasing this shirt and I doubt whether anyone else my age will.. It's boring and lame. fox and alpinestars no matter how bad you think they are or overdesigned, the sell to the majority for a reason. Because the look good. There clothing make women look hot to men and men hot to women. Perhaps you should ask a female whether she would want to be seen with you in your flag shirt. Ps I'm really trying to give good honest advice as if you were looking to turn this into a buisiness. I'm not having a go at you at all. :)

Haha no worries dude no offense taken at all. Anything I do is definitely not for the majority. It's things that interest me and hopefully other like minded people, but if not that is ok as well. I'm sure the way I dress (I'm a metalhead, bullet belts, tight pant, leather jacket, blahblahblah) would be strange to you, and to the 'majority' yet I assure you I have been with many lovely women in my day haha, it's all a mater of taste.

EDIT: Speaking of metal, your country hosts some of my favorite bands. Destroyer 666, Gospel of the Horns, Vomitor...tons of amazing groups.

sort or looks likes a crossing guard vest. keep thinking.

welcome to the board. happy diving.

I have to agree with Saltwater Junky...looks like the CG Vest. But keep designing, you may like this design, or alter it to please your tastes.

Did you try anything with an Alpha flag yet? It may be more proportional to what you are trying to achieve.

Nice work...Welcome to SB.

Safe diving to you.

Back
Top Bottom