Diving Silfra Fissure in Iceland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently went diving at Silfra fissure between the tectonic plates while on a trip to Iceland. It's a really spectacular site. Beautiful rock formations, clear water, and surrounded by mountains.

But I have to admit I was a bit surprised at how touristy it felt. While you need to be drysuit certified to dive, which limits the SCUBA crowd, there are multiple operators that take dozens (hundreds?) or snorkelers a day. So the site is quite busy and the parking lot is full of people. That got me thinking about how this dive site in such a random and cold-water spot has become so popular when you don't see people lining up to go cold water diving almost anywhere else? Yes, you are diving between tectonic plates but its maybe not as clear-cut as the marketing copy would have you believe.

Anyways, I put together this video with my footage to showcase the dive itself but also to talk about this stuff around the attraction. I hope you like it and find it interesting and that I'm not waffling on too much.

If you've dove Silfra what did you think about the instagram vs. reality aspect of it, so to speak?

I went to get dry suit certified and dive the site also. The operator I booked with screwed up my training so I didn't get to do it and settled for snorkeling. Yes I agree, it was quite busy with multiple operation companies onsite. I must admit I didn't like that feeling of being rushed to do everything. Now knowing I'd rather rent a vehicle and meet onsite so I can bask in the moment and not rush through it.

The drive passing the live volcanoes was amazing. I'm planning on getting dry suit certified state side this time around and revisit the site either this summer or next year with my dry suit certification already in hand. Iceland was an amazing place for sure.

Deshawn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom