Diving/snorkeling around Manila/Cebu area during Christmas time with family

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MH

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello!

We are planning a trip to the Philippines around Christmas time and would love to get your advice. :cool2:

I´d like to scuba dive but since I am pregnant and we also have a 1 year old toddler travelling with me and my husband, he will be the only one diving (and I hopefully get a chance to at least snorkel). I will be in mid pregnancy (weeks 21-25) during the trip and just in case something goes wrong, we would like to stay close (max. 4 h drive) to good hospitals in Manila/Cebu area (preferably on the same islands as the cities are).

We would like to get ideas where to go, ideally maybe two hotels and destinations. We are looking for a beautiful, peaceful, safe hotel/destination serving delicious and good quality food, since I´ll be hungry all the time :D!

We have flights to Manila and will be able to fly/drive somewhere from Manila on 13.12.15 and will return to Manila on 3.1.16. E.g. two destinations, 10 or 11 nights in each would be ideal, near Cebu (e.g. Moalboal and Dumaguete?) or Manila (e.g. Anilao or Subic Bay?) is something I have on my mind.

My husband would like to stay and dive in Moalboal and I don´t have anything against it so perhaps first we would head to Moalboal. Any recommendations regarding the hotels/B&Bs/dive shops and location of the accommodation, perhaps close to a nice beach where me and my daughter can play while my husband is diving or alternatively a nice hotel pool?

Perhaps after Moalboal we would head to Dumaguete or Dauin/Anilao/Subic bay. Dumaguete is only a short ferry trip from the island of Cebu so I think I can live with the idea of not being on the same island where the better hospitals are. We have been to Malapascua, Oslob, Siquijor and Bohol & Panglao during our last Philippines trip, so would also like to see something new now. Is Dumaguete/Dauin only for muck/macro fans? Are there nice beaches? I tried looking for accommodation in Batangas and Anilao and the choices are quite limited and price range out of what we would like to pay. Any experience what Subic bay area is like diving-wise and also as a holiday destination?

We are looking for a modestly priced accommodation, clean and comfortable, not luxurious, with aircon and suitable for kids, preferably with a pool and also the sea and sand nearby would be nice. Ideally we would like to spend 30-70€/night for accommodation depending on the quality of the hotel/B&B. Dive and snorkeling sites close to the hotel would be nice so we would get to spend time with the whole family too.

Any advice would be much appreciated! :kiss2:

We have stayed and dived with Turtle Bay in Mailboal which has a pool , a shingle smallish and very good snorkelling off shore.....as well as great diving. Magic Island is right next door and seemed even nicer.
Along in Bohol is nice but very touristy, nice beach and the diving in Balicasag is wonderful. And a in Bhopal is about two hours drive from the airport or port and is also meant to be lovely. Magic Island have a sister resort there and do two centre trips. They don't have a beach but have a lovely pool apparently. Liquid Dumaguete is a wonderful resort. Another options is Sea Explorers who have resorts in Bohol, Dauin , Cabilao and Malapascua...they are beautiful properties with lovely staff and great dive shops.

Have a great trip whatever you do.

1. I have been told that the best medical facility is in Manila.
2. Dauin is mainly for macro. The daily special trip to Apo Island is a full day affair and I don't think it will suit you and the young one.
3. The diving in Subic Bay is mainly wreck and the Baloy Beach is not very attractive. However, the young boy should find the Ocean Adventure inside the Free Port pretty interesting.
4. Anilao is quite restricted ie. dive, eat and sleep from the same place.
5. Across the channel from Anilao is Puerto Galera which is my suggestion. Plenty of restaurants to choose and there is a small beach which is suitable for snorkelling. The dive boat only goes out for 1 dive and then return to base. Finally the diving schedule can be very flexible.
6. Moalboal + Puerto Galera.
7. Christmas is very busy and reservation is highly recommended.

Thank you for your comments and opinions!

I started thinking about Bohol as well, the Anda side mainly, whether that could be an option. Are there nice beaches in Anda or are the beaches rocky and the location better for divers only? I suppose there are some OK standard hospitals in Tagbilaran too and Cebu is fairly close should there be a need.

It seems that there are no places we could even consider near Manila area, and PG is not exactly very near either + there is the ferry trip and crossing the sea at night may result impossible (any idea?).

How about the small islands around Bohol, like Cabilao/Balicasag, how difficult it is to get away from there to Bohol e.g. during night time or is it impossible?

How about Dauin and Dumaguete, is it pretty much the same divingwise and are the beaches there nice? In Subic Bay, is Baloy Beach the main touristic area -- any nice areas there?

I guess our options could be Moalboal + either Dumaguete or Dauin/Anda or Cabilao or Balicasag/Puerto Galera... :)

Getting a boat in the evening is usually not a problem as long as the sea is FLAT. However, the north east winter monsoon can strike anytime. Would you like to take a chance on that?
Have an another white Christmas at home. There is always next time.

Hi Mh,

Anilao in Batangas is just around 2 1/2 hours drive from Manila where the best medical services are. As for Cebu, Malapascua is a great diving place to see the thresher sharks. One of the few places to observers them. It's around 3 hours drive from Cebu city and 40 minutes boat ride to reach the island.

Dumaguete is also a great choice as you can stay in Dumaguete and have the chance to visit Apo Island, Siquijor, Sumilon and dive/snorkel with the whale sharks in Oslob.

I can arrange your transfers, accommodations and dive plans. Please do get in touch me through letsdive@divenationph.com for more details and I would love to make all the necessary arrangements you may require.

Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom