Diving the Carthaginian?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calscubagirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have a list of dive boats that go out to the Carthaginian besides MDS?

Any reports on how the Carthaginian it's looking these days?

Sheesh...excuse my grammar....Any reports on how the Carthaginian IS looking like these days?

Lahaina Divers dives there one afternoon mid-week.

I've spoken with divers that have done it as a scooter dive (using the yellow Apollo DPV's) they say there is enough juice to get you there, but not enough to get you back :wink:

I'd like to try it as a shore dive personally ... as soon as I can find someone who 1)knows where it is 2) is crazy enough to enjoy 1/2 mile surface swims lol

With no compass headings/GPS coord's it would be very easy to miss it.

kidspot:
I'd like to try it as a shore dive personally ... as soon as I can find someone who 1)knows where it is 2) is crazy enough to enjoy 1/2 mile surface swims lol
I attempted to do the St. Anthony's as a shore dive, so maybe I qualify as being crazy enough. (And truly crazy was the 2nd dive I did at Ulua with the remainder of the AL80).

I just did it on a lark because the Ulua parking lot was full and when I went down onto the beach at Keawakapu I could see a couple boats sitting on the wreck. Took a compass bearing and splashed in. 20 minutes later I'm over the tire reef, looking for the wreck.

Same method should work for Carthaginian if it isn't too horribly far offshore.

Hopefully my navigation will be a bit better since I swam around the tire reef, but never found the St. Anthony itself. :frown:

Charlie

p.s. Just made reservations to head on over to Maui November 30th, so I hope to see you at the December Maui SB dive. Staying through mid-March.

Glad you'll be heading back this way Charlie :)

I did the same thing as you with the St. Anthony, only using a scooter - found the tires, but not the wreck :( (This was for my dpv specialty... glad it wasn't navigation lol)

From the pics I've seen, the Carthaginian is on a sandy area, so no distinguishing landmarks underwater to help locate it, and vis is 50-75ft in that area ... "might" be able to see it from the surface on a smooth day.

Aloha, Tim

We need some gps coordinates then. Maybe rent a couple of kayaks?????

I really want to go dive it! I wish there was a scooter that would get us a round trip ticket. lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom