Diving the Carthaginian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muddiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How have the condition been around the Carthiganian? Is the vis good (30'+)?

This is a dive site I have not been to around Maui and I am consideing requesting it if I sign on with an Ed Robinson charter.

Thanks

Mudd

I had a great dive there with Extended Horizons. FIVE big frog fishes. At least that's all we saw.

I'd dive there again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lahaina Divers offers the shortest boat ride, and is familiar with the site conditions on a daily if not twice daily basis. Viz is likely to be closer to 90 than 30. This is a fun and easy, but deep (100 feet) site. Good chance for white tip reef sharks along with frog fish. depending on timing, watch out for the Atlantis submarine that like to visit this site a coupe of times each day.
DivemasterDennis

I belive scubahawk27 goes out there with his scooters, you might want to try that if he does. Sounds like a blast to me.

Thanks Steve, but I don't think this is a reall good scooter opportunity. I have not tried after getting ininfo from another member that you it is a long trip from shore with currents and you have to coordinate with the submarine tours. I want to try it but don't think I would take anyone but my wife and dive buddy.

Was doing a search on this wreck and found this thread. Looking for an opinion on what kind of shape it's in. I'm a photog and occasionally enjoy shooting wrecks. What kind of shape is it in? Good to hear the viz is good. Will be there in mid January. Anyone care to guess what kind of conditions we'll find at that time of year?

Thx

Was doing a search on this wreck and found this thread. Looking for an opinion on what kind of shape it's in. I'm a photog and occasionally enjoy shooting wrecks. What kind of shape is it in? Good to hear the viz is good. Will be there in mid January. Anyone care to guess what kind of conditions we'll find at that time of year?

It is a fairly recent wreck, so the metal and whatnot are in great shape, but because it was a replica of a two-masted ship and sunk artificially, it is relatively barren of serious penetrations. Nonetheless, it is striking to see an image of a tall ship emerge from the blue (image below taken four years ago). Conditions around the wreck tend to be pretty good year-round as it is off the south-western side of Maui and tends to be protected by Lanai, Molokai and Kaho olawe.

Carthaginian copy.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom