Diving the GBR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanMont

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I am a new diver with a BSAC ocean diver certification. I am going to be in Oz during Mid July to Mid September primarily helping out on a Port Jackson research project in Jervis Bay. Before this however i am planning on spending a week to 10 days in Cairns/Port douglas to get out on the GBR. What i was wondering is if anyone could recommend any trips out on the GBR. I am looking for a liveaboard trip either up to Cod hole and the ribbon reefs or the Outer barrier reef. Anyone done any trips to either and can recommend a company?

We're going to be in the same area at the same time. Middle of July till the end of July. While the holiday is to relax, we'll also be visiting the in-laws up in Kuranda and taking a liveaboard for a few days.
Not sure how long you are intending, but we're taking a 3day 2 night with Pro-dive. The price is exceptional, and so far the staff have been great to deal with over the phone.

I had looked at Pro-dive at think that is probably the one i will end up going for. I am very excited as it will be the first time I have ever laid eyes on a proper coral reef let alone did any diving on one!

Hi,

I am a new diver with a BSAC ocean diver certification. I am going to be in Oz during Mid July to Mid September primarily helping out on a Port Jackson research project in Jervis Bay. Before this however i am planning on spending a week to 10 days in Cairns/Port douglas to get out on the GBR. What i was wondering is if anyone could recommend any trips out on the GBR. I am looking for a liveaboard trip either up to Cod hole and the ribbon reefs or the Outer barrier reef. Anyone done any trips to either and can recommend a company?

We used this liveaboard: Cairns Liveaboard Scuba Diving - Great Barrier Reef & Cod Hole Cairns.

Budget: ProDive 3-day trip is a good choice. They go to the outer reef off Cairns. Boat is typically half full with people doing their Open Water course, and the rest certified divers. Would be a good chance for you to do your BSAC Sport Diver or PADI Advanced Open Water training. I did this trip not long after getting my Advanced Open Water cert.

Best: Spirit of Freedom or Mike Ball. These trips go much further afield to the Ribbon Reefs, Cod Hole and out to Osprey Reef. The full trip is 7 days, but you can fly in or out at Lizard Island and only do the first or second half of the trip. I did the full 7 day trip on Spirit of Freedom. It's a truly great trip. Indeed, I'd gladly do this trip again.

Unless you're doing the ultra cheap route on land (youth hostels and cooking for yourself all the time) don't underestimate the value of the liveaboards. I went over in 2010 and did the SpoilSport (Mike Ball) after looking at land-based options. It may not be as bad for you coming from the UK economy, but from the US I found AUS to be pretty expensive regardless of being land based or on a boat. For me, the liveaboard meant being able to have a consistently good diving experience including ending up with a relatively consistent buddy, vs. whomever I happened to end up with on a day boat.

By doing the Liveaboard, I got a lot of diving in, and had decent accommodations and great food to boot (I'm sure I ate better than I would have if I was land-based). No regrets at all about going that way. I also enjoyed not worrying about my "stuff" sitting back at a hostel or hotel while I was out on the water.

I did the 4-day Dive-then-fly trip out of Cairns. The low-altitude flight back over the reef is a neat experience in itself.

First off I have to agree that the Ribbon Reef trips like Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom are definitely the best. Remember too it is Minke whale migration this time of year so on these trips you usually get to dive with the whales.

There are some good trips out of Cairns to the Outer Reef areas and Pro Dive and Taka are the best 2 for sure.

You are probably only going to come here once so why skimp! Try to get the best experience you can whilst here as you may regret it later.

But can't go wrong with any of the 4 choices above :)

We're doing Palm Cove for 4 days, Kuranda for 4 days, and then meeting up with friends for the 3 day liveaboard. There's about 10 of us, with one doing his open water as part of the trip. Some of the others are fly in fly out, so it fits in nice with their 7 day R and R considering the flying after diving concerns.
We're really looking forward to it.

Hi Folks - anyone done GBR in early Sept? Or would you advise heading further afield to Asia Pacific?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom