Diving the Keys in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MargaritavilleDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm new to diving, been doing it less than 1 year, I'm still an OW diver with 10 dives.

I haven't been since October, and was wondering what the diving's like off the Keys in January?

My wife and I both have 3mm wetsuits, will this be enough? What are the currents like? etc..

Hi, I'm new to diving, been doing it less than 1 year, I'm still an OW diver with 10 dives.

I haven't been since October, and was wondering what the diving's like off the Keys in January?

My wife and I both have 3mm wetsuits, will this be enough? What are the currents like? etc..

The search tool is your friend: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/110267-diving-keys-january.html

Glaobal warming hasn't affected us down here yet so the info contained is still true. In fact, I'm pretty sure Al Gore invented glaobal warming at the same time he invented the internet.

currents can change from day to day, with tide, proximatey of the gulf stream, and depth.

temps right now are about 76-77 on the reef, minimal thermoclines.

as for your suits....depends on how cold you get. i'm a wuss and am diving a 7/6mm suit.

currents can change from day to day, with tide, proximatey of the gulf stream, and depth.

temps right now are about 76-77 on the reef, minimal thermoclines.

as for your suits....depends on how cold you get. i'm a wuss and am diving a 7/6mm suit.

I won't be taking any chances, if the 3mm isn't enough and we get cold, we'll be out the ocean pronto!

The search tool is your friend: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/110267-diving-keys-january.html

Glaobal warming hasn't affected us down here yet so the info contained is still true. In fact, I'm pretty sure Al Gore invented glaobal warming at the same time he invented the internet.
LOL!

Not to "Flame" you, Margaritaville - in fact, welcome to the board - this question comes up in one way shape or form weekly for all of South FL

All the info shared is correct; I dive a 5mil w/ a 3 mil vest w/ hood and will until late April, but that's me - my 3mil is not enough this time of year

Check the marine weather - if its rough it tends to be surgy in the Keys on the reef b/c its shallow

LOL!

Not to "Flame" you, Margaritaville - in fact, welcome to the board - this question comes up in one way shape or form weekly for all of South FL

All the info shared is correct; I dive a 5mil w/ a 3 mil vest w/ hood and will until late April, but that's me - my 3mil is not enough this time of year

Check the marine weather - if its rough it tends to be surgy in the Keys on the reef b/c its shallow

Mmmm late April you say... it must be colder than I thought!

You need to put just as much thought into what you will wear on the boat between dives as what to wear down under. Yeah, the air temp is nice, but you can get colder on the boat than in the water after your dive, especially if it rains. I learned this the hard way. Buy a dry bag, put a nice warm vinyl windbreaker, dry shorts and tee shirt, and dry towels in it. I know..."not another bag to buy and lug around", but you'll be glad you did.

We're leaving for Cozumel in eight days and while Coz is a lot more tropical than the Keys, those will be standard items for us in our dry bag. We learned this the hard way diving both Key Largo and Cozumel in those Jan., Feb. months. The water temp in Coz will be about 80 and the air temp will be about 84. However, underwater, wrapped in neoprene with that layer of warmed water between it and your skin is a lot warmer than a wet body on the boat with wind whipping you. Same holds true for Keys diving in Jan.

You need to put just as much thought into what you will wear on the boat between dives as what to wear down under. Yeah, the air temp is nice, but you can get colder on the boat than in the water after your dive, especially if it rains. I learned this the hard way. Buy a dry bag, put a nice warm vinyl windbreaker, dry shorts and tee shirt, and dry towels in it. I know..."not another bag to buy and lug around", but you'll be glad you did.

We're leaving for Cozumel in eight days and while Coz is a lot more tropical than the Keys, those will be standard items for us in our dry bag. We learned this the hard way diving both Key Largo and Cozumel in those Jan., Feb. months. The water temp in Coz will be about 80 and the air temp will be about 84. However, underwater, wrapped in neoprene with that layer of warmed water between it and your skin is a lot warmer than a wet body on the boat with wind whipping you. Same holds true for Keys diving in Jan.

Thanks, we do have one of those; I'll be filling it full of dry clothes just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom