Diving the North Hawaiis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Anybody done it? I have a need to go explore. Im thinking that may be a fun couple three week trip. Just wondering if anyone has been out there? What should I expect? Thanks!

I think ERDA might have been -- perhaps contact them.

I remember reading something somewhere about Ed having visited some of the nearby islands in his marine ecology work.

You're referring to the Northwestern Islands, past Niihau? I heard that Bubbles Below on Kauai will run charters out to Niihau during the summer but be prepared to pay some heavy coin; if the channel crossing is like any of the others, expect an ordeal too. I know that there's at least one private skipper on Kauai who'll run all the way to Nihoa for fishing (I forgot his name but could ask around) but I don't think he anchors or even gets close-in. Aloha Airlines pulled out of running to Midway several years ago. The concession facilities at Midway have shutdown too. Although there's been rumblings of it trying to resurrect, I'm not holding my breath. Otherwise, just a token force of Fish & Wildlife Service people are there (although, last year, a Continental 777 out of Narita did put down for several days with a oil pressure problem). And all I ever got out of one guy who went out there several times was pretty much just two words, "birds" and "sharks" -- but he'd go again in a heartbeat.

Im thinking of doing the bare boat thing. Throw a compressor, some beer and a couple of cuties for a crew on maybe? :)

Wildcard:
Im thinking of doing the bare boat thing. Throw a compressor, some beer and a couple of cuties for a crew on maybe? :)

"Bare", "beer", and "cuties"? The life of 007? I'm near the age where I'd heave the compressor and instead pack a resuscitator. Sighhhhhhh.

Did you have something better in mind for kicking the bucket? Blaze of Glory or at least great sex is how I want to go! LOL!

Wildcard:
Did you have something better in mind for kicking the bucket? Blaze of Glory or at least great sex is how I want to go! LOL!

Ah, roger that -- "If you gotta go, then go lookin' good". Sort of a variation on, "Who dies with the most toys, wins".

There's a cousin who's the closest thing to a brother I have. We went diving in ok conditions that got worse (rising surf and currents, clousy, rainy day) in a kind of remote spot beyond Makaha and were making a loooong surface swim back in. We were just barely making headway (ditching some gear was becoming an option) when he turns to me and says, "If you don't make it... (thoughtful pause)... Then can I have all your stuff?" Oh well, his son now gives him the same grief. Ah, family.....

Wildcard:

I did about 500 dives on Midway when I managed the dive operation up there in '98. That is one of the furthest islands to the NW (1200 from Honolulu) but in between you have Nihoa, Necker, French Frigate Shoals, Laysan, etc, etc.

Great diving along the whole chain. Plenty sharks. You would be quite aways from the next nearest dive vessel (up to 1000+ miles) .

I figure two ways to go about it if you wanted to mount an expedition. A big enough vessel with a compressor. This is the open ocean up there. A center console ain't gonna cut it.

That means you need something that has at least a 1000 mile range, and that is just the closest islands. If you were the crew and captain, you are still looking at well over $1000 a day with no labor involved for the absolute minimum.

Would recommend having everyone dive rebreathers to save on compressor use.

Time. Depending on how far northwest you go, you would need a few weeks. Unless you had a very fast boat and then you would need a few more thousand a day to pay for it.

Which is why mostly only scientists have dived these islands. The only other cheap option is an open ocean capable sailing vessel, two zodiacs (one for backup) and a small compressor, O2 bottles, and rebreathers all the way to save on gas and fuel for the compressor.

Anyone want to take this further than a ipe dream?

I PMed you back. I think it can be done for a lot less a day. Small Bare boat say 60 foot and 8-12 people. I can see 300ish a day per person. I have a Capt's lic but no sail boat endorsement and I have done three California to Alaska gulf crossings, solo on my 46 foot fishing boat so the ocean is no stranger to me. Id realy be into doing something like this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom