Diving the P555 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_dumper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Has anyone dived the US Submarine the P555 out of Portland or Weymouth?
Any info would be appreciated, she is intact and in about 45-50m of water but that is all I know.
Does anyone know decent charter boats that go out to her in November as they usuall ones we use only do inshore dives from the end of October onwards.
Cheers.

I originally posted this on a different board and got no response and was advised to try posting here instead (cheers phish-phood, i'm still a newbie to all this) so apologies to anyone who has already read the post.

you might want to try Skin Deep out of Weymouth - if anyone is going out there in November I bet it would be them and possibly Wey Chieftan...

Jonathan once bubbled...
you might want to try Skin Deep out of Weymouth - if anyone is going out there in November I bet it would be them and possibly Wey Chieftan...
Thanks Jonathan, a couple of other people have sugested Skin Deep I found their website and got a number so I will check them out. Couldn't find any info on Wey Cheiftan though.
How is the diving in Japan? I don't think that I have ever read a reveiw on diving in the area.
Found out a bit more about the P555 and as no one on this board seems to have dived it here is the info.

The P555 was an American "P" class submarine that was sunk in 1947 for use as a sonar target by the Royal Navy, It is fully intact and upright in 45m of water 5 miles west of Portland Bill the wreck can only be dived on the ebb slack as tides very strong in this area. I still can't find GPS for her but I guess the local charters will know.

I dived the P555 a few years back. It's a nice wreck, intact, with lots of conger eels on it. I has a reputation for being very dark (somehting to do with it's position) and quite silty. I did it with Dougie Lanfear on the Blue Turtle out of Lyme Regis. Good boat, though the lunches he does tend to repeat on you on the drift dive in the afternoon. Lasagne and garlic bread was a favourite of mine on his boat...

I had a cracking dive on it, sadly with a crap buddy. I did it in my deep air/same ocean buddy days (though some wouldn't class 45m as deep air territory).

I'd love to go back and do it on 21/35 when I get my Tech 1 ticket.

HTH

Chris

Wow Tibbs I was beginning to think that the P555 was just an urban legend, but now I have fresh hope LOL.
I am going to that part of the country in a couple of weeks so I will check Blue Turtle out then.
Hang on Lasagna and garlic bread on a South coast dive boat......... I thought Tim was good giving out biscuits on Spartacus / cat, now I know the P555 is a myth.:)

the_dumper once bubbled...
Wow Tibbs I was beginning to think that the P555 was just an urban legend, but now I have fresh hope LOL.
I am going to that part of the country in a couple of weeks so I will check Blue Turtle out then.
Hang on Lasagna and garlic bread on a South coast dive boat......... I thought Tim was good giving out biscuits on Spartacus / cat, now I know the P555 is a myth.:)

You really need to get out on the Weymouth boats. Competition there is so fierce that lunch is included on all the boats that I have been on and they have tail lifts, too...

Old Harbour are pretty good, have used them before and a buddy of mine uses them a lot.

For proof that the P555 exists try this link.

HTH,

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom