diving the tanks in the gulf our style...!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remind me never to dive with you guys.....look at all that silt!!:shakehead :popcorn:

Missdirected:
Mike y'all are nuts... :mooner:

Okay, I talked to Michael today and should clarify. I don't think he is totally nuts. They were having a bit of fun in shallow water while also practicing skills. They are certified cave/tech divers. Not my cup of tea but not out of the realm of something a cave-diver would encounter i.e, getting through small passages.

Missdirected:
Okay, I talked to Michael today and should clarify. I don't think he is totally nuts. They were having a bit of fun in shallow water while also practicing skills. They are certified cave/tech divers. Not my cup of tea but not out of the realm of something a cave-diver would encounter i.e, getting through small passages.

Just so I'm clear.... The guy taking off his BC/tank underwater and fooling around - is that what's flipping folks out?

No not for me. The confined space stuff is what gets me. I will take the BC off and mess around without it. Everyone should have had to do that in Openwater Class. I just ain't too sure about going in and out of those tanks. Allthough I have been considering taking a wreck class.

Yea, don't screw around with wrecks unless you've been trained for it.

I guess I'm a little more hardened than I thought. I didn't think twice about someone taking their gear off and swimming through something - under control of course. Does anyone know that wreck off WPB that has the Rolls Royce Phantom sitting next to it, in about 95' of water? Back in '87 I dove it with my wifes OW check out class. One at a time, two of the instructors and myself took our gear off, swam into the Rolls and had our picture taken sitting in the driver seat - sans gear (no regulator either). Just grinning and bubbles. One of us sat outside the Rolls holding the gear of who was in the driver seat - inches away. Heck, one instructor (Charlie) even took his mask off for the photo....

I presumed these guys are well trained for what they're doing. To me, it seems obvious watching them. I don't see the problem with what they're doing, considering their skill level.....

my $0.02 worth... :D

See.. I must be psychogoofy or this stuff totally hits in my comfort zone of wahooness because my dive buddies and I do skills drills like this in a lake where we totally silt out...swap gear, etc etc.. and this little squeeze dealio and going into the tanks in what looks like fairly open access.. I duno, I guess it is stuff I've been doing since I was a kid and even had confined space training type stuff on with the fire dept. Honestly, it looked like good fun :)

AstroDad:
Just so I'm clear.... The guy taking off his BC/tank underwater and fooling around - is that what's flipping folks out?

Yes, I do believe.

CBulla:
See.. I must be psychogoofy or this stuff totally hits in my comfort zone of wahooness because my dive buddies and I do skills drills like this in a lake where we totally silt out...swap gear, etc etc.. and this little squeeze dealio and going into the tanks in what looks like fairly open access.. I duno, I guess it is stuff I've been doing since I was a kid and even had confined space training type stuff on with the fire dept. Honestly, it looked like good fun :)

Hence why I thought I should clarify things a bit. Personally, me no likey lil spots, so I still think he is nuts (sorry Michael :wink:). Plus I would scrape up my legs :mooner:

He has some other good videos. Hopefully he'll put some more up.

They (unfortunatly) don't teach new classes about taking off and putting back on gear under water. In the early 80's when I was certified you had to do that. When my kids were certified in 2005 they didn't. I went through that class with them as a refresher. During one of the openwater dives my AL80 started to slip out of the band so I proceded to start to take off my BC to correct the problem. while doing this I looked up to see the instructor shooting like a torpedo in my direction to stop me. On the surface later she told me she thought I was "panicing". I guess she wasn't certified in the 80's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom