diving the tanks in the gulf our style...!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got my cert in the late 70s when Open Water 1 was what they now call AOW or even parts of DM plus a bit - free accents, buddy breathing without masks, blacked out masks, lights off in the pool, nets thrown over you, masks flooded or pulled off, fishing lines with 3oz weights thrown over you to "hook" you (no hooks though), plus the ditch and dons with and without pool lights. What it did was give you the confidence to not panic. Many times the ditch and don debate has been put up on the boards, and opinions are like ars holes…

As for the army tank dive, why didn’t they just take their fins off with the BC/tanks and go in feet first? So many times I have seen divers go into tight places where their fins hamper any movement and stir up the silt. If I was going to do what they did in warm water, Get a pair of cheep painters pants, stuff the leg cuffs into you booties or tape them with duct tape closed, use a long sleeve 3mm top and put on about 4# of weight to get you a bit heavy without theBC/ tank. Get to the wreck, ditch the tanks, hand your fins to the buddy, enter feet first. Do you think tanks are made to enter any other way? Where are you going to swim to inside an army tank?

jlwest63:
I am wondering how they could not teach this? What happens if you get tangled up at depth and need to get out of your BC in order to cut yourself free? I know you should have a close buddy but what if they did not notice?

We did this over and over and I consider that getting out of and into my BC a VERY important skill to master.

They still teach it - just the "jacket" style of in/out. Personally, I almost always get tangled on something trying to get that left arm in the bc (assuming you do the right arm first). This is why I find the backwards, over the head style mucho easier/better.

AstroDad:
They still teach it - just the "jacket" style of in/out. Personally, I almost always get tangled on something trying to get that left arm in the bc (assuming you do the right arm first). This is why I find the backwards, over the head style mucho easier/better.

Which arm do you have your computer on? Assuming you have a wrist mount. I ask, because I used to put my right in first then found it mucho easier to put the left in since that is the hand I wear my computer on. No more getting snagged :)

Missdirected:
Which arm do you have your computer on? Assuming you have a wrist mount. I ask, because I used to put my right in first then found it mucho easier to put the left in since that is the hand I wear my computer on. No more getting snagged :)

Console type. I've never worn anything on my wrists when diving. Being able to start with both hands already in the correct openings is, IMHO, far superior to what they teach now....

I was certified in 2003, PADI OW in Jamaica. The instructor had me don and doff in the pool, in open water on the surface, and in open water on the sea floor. I also removed my mask completely and replaced and cleared it.

If that is not normal protocol, or wasn't at the time, I think it's very sad. This is not tough stuff if you are comfortable with yourself and your gear under water. Heck, I was using rental gear. This should all be a required skill.

that is so cool ty missdirect.....!!!!!!

hounddog:
that is so cool ty missdirect.....!!!!!!

Thought you, of all people, would enjoy it. Riguerin posted it today, I snatched it and brought it over here for ya'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom