Diving to 130 ft ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive with Memo at Aldora Divers... He will be happy to take you!! He loves that dive and the shop has stel tanks.. 80,100,120

Going to Cozumel next month. Not sure if I would be suitable for this dive, as would consider myself to be still pretty much a novice with around 50 dives.

I have done some short penetrations into wrecks, just down a few rooms and felt okay with it, and have dived in some strong currents. At the same time, I've never been to that depth.

From reading various threads, it seems there are two schools of thought when it comes to the Devils Throat. One very conservative group saying it's madness to do this dive without extra equipment and lots of prior experience, especially considering effect of narcosis. The other seem to be saying its okay to do with the time spent in the overhead environment being short and near the start of the dive.

We are comfortable with diving but I'm wondering what the thoughts are in regard to going to 130ft for the first time..

from what I have heard Devil's Throat has some other factors that make it a particularly difficult dive besides the depth alone...

My wife and I did most of the dives in Cozumel including quite a few swim-throughs, but not the Punta Sur Devil's Throat dive. There is so much to see along the walls and on the reefs, and so little to see in the swim-thoughs, that we kind of groaned inwardly whenever our dive guide headed into (Oh, God, not ANOTHER) cave.

It's not really a big deal. In Cozumel, 130ft. is pretty awesome because the visibility is fantastic. If you can't feel any 'nervousness' or anything at 100 feet, 130 won't be bad unless you fantasize about what might happen.

It's not really a big deal. In Cozumel, 130ft. is pretty awesome because the visibility is fantastic. If you can't feel any 'nervousness' or anything at 100 feet, 130 won't be bad unless you fantasize about what might happen.

I agree, the viz is just astonishing... I did do a 126ft dive, if I was narc'd I certainly have no recollection of it. I frequently did 90-110ft dives and really felt nothing unusual. To tell you the truth I feel a lot worse when doing dives here in Southern California at 30ft, in 50 degree water with 10ft viz and lots of surge pounding you like you're in a laundry... :coffee: The diving conditions have been miserable here lately.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom