Diving to 130 ft ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I have roughly 45 dives each over the course of about 7 years of recreational vacation diving.

100ft is the deepest we have dived, with many logged dives to 80.

We are comfortable with diving but I'm wondering what the thoughts are in regard to going to 130ft for the first time.

The reason I ask is we will be diving in Cozumel this Thanksgiving and have plans of doing Punta Sur which goes to 130 ft.

I've never been able to detect any narcosis but I'm a little concerned about a 30% jump in diving depth.

I don't see any opportunity to go deeper incrementally at this point.

I'd say go for it and don't worry all that much about it. You say you've been to 100ft with no problem and are comfortable with diving so that's good. Just don't make it your first dive of the week. I've done that dive maybe 5 or 6 times and have never had any problems what-so-ever.

Pretty much what will happen is you will jump off the boat and go straight down to the sand which is around 90 ft or so. Then your DM will start into the "Devils Throat" and you guys will follow along. To tell you the truth, when I did it for the first time, I found it kinda neat going down through the tunnel and then you pop out and you'll be about 125 to 130 ft. Then you'll just start heading back up along the wall and continue your dive at a much shallower depth.

There is really nothing to it so don't miss out on the opportunity. Do it and have fun!

strongly suggest you pass on that dive..it's only a matter of time before an equipment failure or just a panic attack causes a multiple death there..long narrow swim through...many spots where air sharing cannot be accomplished...can't turn around etc...

Greetings mfinley919 and I am glad you are questioning your dive plans. It is telling me you are a reasonable individual who wishes to be prepared for the dive in which you have described. This is a Advanced dive no question about it and as others have mentioned the many safety concerns, contingencies, etc. Do you feel comfortable taking your wife to those depths? It was my experience in Coz. that you had better be able to take care of yourself and your buddy and have the training necessary to do just that.
Just the what if's list for such a dive are very interesting. I would suggest some training either a organized class or some preparation by a DM or Instructor to make you aware and get you to that depth under safe supervision. There are some very critical considerations about the effects of depth and pressure on your physiology not to mention the gas planning issues. When it was up to my wife and I we chose to dive another site. If I was to go back I would love to dive there with larger singles and a pony for a redundant "back up". Nitrox as Lyne has mentioned would be a better choice if custom mix was available and you were certified to use it.
Ultimately it is your choice and many people dive this site without a problem but there are some who do have problems and fatalities do happen.
I am not trying to scare or sway you in any way but please consider what others and I have mentioned. It is my goal to promote safe diving and help so if you are wondering about my motives that is it! With that being said good luck and please feel free to PM me if I can offer assistance.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

My wife and I have roughly 45 dives each over the course of about 7 years of recreational vacation diving.

This is the description of the dive,

Punta Sur Deep
Depth: 90 to 130 feet
Skill level: Advanced
This is diving for the experienced at it's best.

Hmm, the description of the dive (130ft, overhead environment, advanced, "for the experienced") doesn't seem to match the description of the divers. (an average of 6 "vacation" dives a year since certification.)

Do you consider you and your wife to be "experienced/advanced" divers?

We are comfortable with diving but I'm wondering what the thoughts are in regard to going to 130ft for the first time.

The reason I ask is we will be diving in Cozumel this Thanksgiving and have plans of doing Punta Sur which goes to 130 ft.

I've never been able to detect any narcosis but I'm a little concerned about a 30% jump in diving depth.

I don't see any opportunity to go deeper incrementally at this point.

IMO----------do it---you'll never know the difference.......great little dive, btw......

Ultimately it is your choice and many people dive this site without a problem but there are some who do have problems and fatalities do happen.

Just curious. Are you saying fatalities happen in general or are you saying people are dying at this particular site?

I was meaning in a general sense.
One week after we departed from Mexico a diver was lost at Coz.
Facts were sketchy at best but the currents can be strong at particular sites.
Diving within ones comfort and skill levels can go along way in keeping everyone
safe. Not that it is a guarantee all will be well, there are always the possibility of unforeseen circumstances. But training and being prepared never hurts.
I was very happy to have taken the time to gain training and experience.
On our next trip I will be able to enjoy so much more and go to the more Advanced
sites. Diving skills and personal evaluations need to be apart of our lives as divers.
I have several very trusted dive buddies who I discuss dive plans with and they offer their opinions and thoughts. They have been known to pursued and discourage at times. But always with our welfare in mind. That is the kind of friends I surround my self with, that is what I expect of dive buddies.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Last edited:
Along this line....
My wife and I are going to Turneffe Island Lodge in October and are concerned about diving the Blue Hole. I have about 100 dives and she has 152 (she got to spend a few weeks more than me on Grand Caymen for a couple of years for various reasons. Since we dive Grand Cayman we have many dives at the 100 to 110 level. Neither of us have been below 120 as of yet. Just returned from doing 29 dives on the East End of Grand Cayman last month. We are comfortable with the diving just not sure whether the Blue Hole is really worth pushing the limit further. Any thoughts?
(Would do it on air and the following 2 dives on Nitrox 32%).

Along this line....
My wife and I are going to Turneffe Island Lodge in October and are concerned about diving the Blue Hole. I have about 100 dives and she has 152 (she got to spend a few weeks more than me on Grand Caymen for a couple of years for various reasons. Since we dive Grand Cayman we have many dives at the 100 to 110 level. Neither of us have been below 120 as of yet. Just returned from doing 29 dives on the East End of Grand Cayman last month. We are comfortable with the diving just not sure whether the Blue Hole is really worth pushing the limit further. Any thoughts?
(Would do it on air and the following 2 dives on Nitrox 32%).

My wife and I are going there on the 22nd of this month and we plan to dive the Blue Hole although it's one of those sites that seem to be you're glad you did it but wouldn't do it again. (You must have gotten in on their great deal they have going!)

From what I have read, you go down to about 130 to 140 ft to see the formations and then return. I think you only get a few minutes of bottom time. But you don't have to go that deep. Just if you want to. Then I think there are some sharks near the surface to look at. If I rememebr correctly, a DM takes you down in small groups but I could be off on that one.

Both my wife and I have been to those depths numerous times so we're not too concerned about the dive. But if you really don't want to do it, just stay shallow and watch a few videos on You-tube to see what's down there. But at least go on the boat that day because they are suppose to dive some really nice spots after the Blue Hole.

I have several very trusted dive buddies who I discuss dive plans with and they offer their opinions and thoughts. They have been known to pursued and discourage at times. But always with our welfare in mind. That is the kind of friends I surround my self with, that is what I expect of dive buddies.

Looks like you have a pretty good group of dive buddies! They are not always easy to find.

Back
Top Bottom