Diving to 130 ft ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I are going there on the 22nd of this month and we plan to dive the Blue Hole although it's one of those sites that seem to be you're glad you did it but wouldn't do it again. (You must have gotten in on their great deal they have going!)

From what I have read, you go down to about 130 to 140 ft to see the formations and then return. I think you only get a few minutes of bottom time. But you don't have to go that deep. Just if you want to. Then I think there are some sharks near the surface to look at. If I rememebr correctly, a DM takes you down in small groups but I could be off on that one.

Both my wife and I have been to those depths numerous times so we're not too concerned about the dive. But if you really don't want to do it, just stay shallow and watch a few videos on You-tube to see what's down there. But at least go on the boat that day because they are suppose to dive some really nice spots after the Blue Hole.

Your description of the Blue Hole dive is pretty accurate, you jump in, drop to 130 or so, see the formations, and then profile back up, and then hang around on the sand to out -gas and for your safety stop. The more adventuresome can go behind some of the formations, which is really pretty open, and not what I would consider a confined area.

With regard to Devil's Throat on CZM, I've probably done that dive a dozen or so times in the period of time I have been diving there (since the 80's), including diving it "backwards" once when the currents were a little weird. It is definitely confined, and I understand has changed somewhat with the last hurricane or two, but there is something to be said (as someone else has pointed out) to entering a cave at 90' and come out over the wall at 130' (and be looking down at the bottomless abyss). It is a CZM "signature" dive. If you have concerns, I'd not make it my first dive of the trip, making sure that you are comfortable with your gear and the dive op first, plus experiencing the currents and the concept of drift diving, and then when you are comfortable, and its offered, go for it.

My wife and I are going there on the 22nd of this month and we plan to dive the Blue Hole although it's one of those sites that seem to be you're glad you did it but wouldn't do it again. (You must have gotten in on their great deal they have going!)
............ But at least go on the boat that day because they are suppose to dive some really nice spots after the Blue Hole.

Yes we did get the special they are running. Was just going for a week but the wife twisted my arm :eyebrow::rofl3: and we decided on 2 weeks (October 24 to November 7). Thank goodness for american express points and frequent flyer miles to get there.

We are definately going for the other 2 dives. I think we will do the dive the first week to at least see what is there and then go from there. As you said, we can always stop shallower if we want. Personally I always think there are generally more interesting things to see between 40 and 60 feet on most dives than at 100 feet.

Lucky you two! That is a heck of a deal! Less than half of what they charged a year ago.

I pretty much agree with the 40 to 60 ft thing. Since I started doing video, I seldom seem to go much below 60 to 70 ft and usually it's like 30 to 50.

It isn’t easy to answer question if it is safe to go to 130ft with experience at 100ft. Same as if it is safe to drive 65mph with experience at 50mph only. Can you? Or should you drive at 55mph for an hour and then at 60mph for another hour. As for devil’s throat, have you been through shorter and shallower swimthroughs (there are many on Cozumel)? If during previous dives you had situations when you had to interrupt dive in emergency I would also take it in consideration. You can also ask for small group or stay immediately after DM. Most likely problem that diver in front of you will kick some sand or will loose DM and then go in a wrong corridor. And it is not so narrow, you can share air inside if necessary.

We are rather excited. It will be the first trip for just the 2 of us in 21 years. Finally sending my youngest son off to college.:shocked2:

Now if I can just get her to share the secret of growing gills when we hit the water I will have it made. I can not understand how we can spend 60 minutes at 50 feet (average) and she surfaces with over 1200 psi! The staff at Ocean Frontiers last month were understanding, they just gave me an 80 when she had a 63 and a 100 when she had an 80!!

I'll have my video rig with me so I'll shoot what's down at 140 and try and post it before you guys go. Like I said before, from what I have read, a lot of people will say do it at least once just to say you did it but then skip it the next time. From what I have seen on video, I'd agree!

The one good thing about staying at the Turneffe Resort is that usually, you're the first boat there so the conditions are a little better than later.

It is a CZM "signature" dive. If you have concerns, I'd not make it my first dive of the trip, making sure that you are comfortable with your gear and the dive op first, plus experiencing the currents and the concept of drift diving, and then when you are comfortable, and its offered, go for it.

I really don't see it happening any other way. We dive with Aldora who I consider a very good dive op. I'd say it would be virtually impossible to dive Punta Sur on the first day. Aldora always wants to check you out before they take anybody to an advanced site, and then there is the pot luck aspect of being the right day with the right conditions for the site, with the right group on the boat who all qualify. It usually takes a few days for everything to come together to get a shot at it.

As for devil’s throat, have you been through shorter and shallower swimthroughs (there are many on Cozumel)?

Lots of swim throughs and we have a tiny cavern diving experience from Cenote diving a couple of years ago.

Narcosis is my only concern in all this.

Narcosis is my only concern in all this.

As you stated in your first post, you have been to 100ft and not even been able to detect any effects from narcosis at all so it's not likely that 130 ft. will be greatly different for you.

Maybe on some of the earlier dives in the week you'll be able to drop down to around 110 to 115 ft and see how you feel with that and decide from there.

What's your and your wife's air consumption like? At 130' you'll be burning air much quicker than at 60', physics and physiology wise, never mind breathing a little quicker due to stress and/or excitement.....

My vote is no, but should you decide to do it, your first hurdle will be finding a boat to take you there.

When I enquired about it when I was there last July, they (Aqua Safaris) would only take out "experienced" divers, meaning 100+ dives, and only after diving with them for a day or two to see how they were under water.....

Back
Top Bottom