Diving Tofo, Mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Time to buy a drysuit !!!!

I take rands - mail Tofo Scuba, I think they still take credit cards (they did last time), it will save you carrying cash. Cassa Barry will take rands, when you spend money at the bar you will probably get meticals as change.

Dinos for pizzas !!! They are right next to Tofo Scuba.The food at Cassa Barry is good. Link up with us when you get there, if we drive anywhere interesting to eat or do anything else we may be able to fit you in the 4x4.

I will PM you my cell no if you need to discuss anything else, or just ask here.

Everyone took anything. I had US$ and Rand. The exchange rate wasn't so great but it was probably less hassle than getting meticals before arriving. Tofu Scuba took credit cards. Barry's restaurant is good. There's a few restaurants besides Cassa Barry. There's Dino's Pizza. Also, there is a little "town square" halfway between Cassa Barry and Tofu Scuba with a little shoppers market during the day. You can easily walk there from Cassa. There were two restaurants - one was part of a "hotel" like building, the other looked like someone's house. Both were decent. Tofo Scuba offers breakfast and lunch. Breakfast was fine, the menu for lunch seemed kind of weak. I think it is geared for the people who do the snorkel since they don't have much time to eat between the morning dive, the snorkel, and the afternoon dive. So the menu was more like snacks. If you are not doing the snorkel, you don't really hang out there and you can get a better lunch somewhere else. But if you are there for 10 days, you'll eat everywhere! Have a great trip. I miss the place already!

bbul:
what camera and casing and light source did you use?
I got one of those cameras for dummies. I used a canon 900 IS and it comes with a canon casing (think its a W-9 or something like that). The light just goes off!!

I think the one that you referred to as looking like someones house was Cassa De Comer - it burned down 3 weeks ago !

Hey guys,

We are going to Tofo in late May / early June. Got 3 days of diving with Tofo Scuba!

Do you know if they do 3 dives a day, if so requested?

Also, which dive sites would you recommend we request, if we have 6 or 8 dives?

Thanks!

J.

jedah:
Hey guys,

We are going to Tofo in late May / early June. Got 3 days of diving with Tofo Scuba!

Do you know if they do 3 dives a day, if so requested?

Also, which dive sites would you recommend we request, if we have 6 or 8 dives?

Thanks!

J.

It's possible to do three dives a day, but it depends on how busy they are at the moment - how many boats they have running. At the time of my visit it was pretty much full - there was a couple of guys who hadn't booked in advance and they missed a lot of diving because there just wasn't any free spots on the boats. Pretty frustrating, especially since they only had two weeks and had come all the way from europe. Advice: book the diving in advance! Or some of it at least. It helps the DC to plan ahead and give you what you want.

My favourite sites: Amazon (my favourite - this is a very good dive), Manta reef (if you have mantas, otherwise...not so impressive inmo), Giant's Castle and The Office. These are all far away and relatively deep sites (except Giant's). During my visit we normally made a morning double tank dive on two of the mentioned and then there was afternoon dive/s at the closer to shore/shallower sites.

/christian

Christian:
Perhaps you alrerady knew, but Tofo Scuba has moved away from Casa Barrys back yard,

Wow, Christian, I had not seen your pictures...
Outstanding work!!! (as usual :))
You even make the visibility look good :wink:

Zeina:
Wow, Christian, I had not seen your pictures...
Outstanding work!!! (as usual :))
You even make the visibility look good :wink:

Thank's Zeina! A Nikkor 10.5 mm FE certainly helps making distances look greater than they actually are :) but we were also lucky with the conditions and actually had decent viz on a couple of days in the 15-25 metre range, compared to the normal 10-15 meters. Plenty of particles in the water though (as expected) and backscatter was a real pain at times.

cheers

/christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom