Diving tonga - warning real tonga airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter69_56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We recently just got back from diving in Tonga and wish to let everyone know of our experience there.
We dived on the island of Eua. It is about a 10 min flight from the main island Tongatapu or a 2-3 hr ferry trip. Naturally we wished to avoid the ferry and so our travel agent booked us through Real Tonga airlines. A week before the trip, we had not received our E tickets for the Island flight. In fact on the day we were travelling to the airport to fly out of Australia, we still didn’t have the E tickets. Apparently (from the travel agents), Real Tonga airlines booked the wrong day for us and were refusing to change it or something along those lines. The travel agent and the LDC (Deep Blue Diving Tonga) spent much time talking to Real Tonga and finally got a flight for us (all be it in the afternoon instead of the morning which meant a 14 hr layover after flying all night). When we got to the local airport, it seemed somewhat chaotic with issues with other people on other prior Real Tonga flights. Finally we got over to Eua and dived with Deep Blue Diving Tonga staying at the Ova Tree lodge.
I will comment further about Deep Blue Diving Tonga and Ova Tree Lodge further later in this post but basically I was very happy with their service.
While we were at Eua we saw people who had booked the return flight from Eua to Tongatapu, and had it confirmed on the prior day as booked and confirmed, only to find the flight cancelled due to maintenance or some other issue, or to be kicked off the flight to let a local who had booked at last minute on the flight. This did not happen only once, but on a number of times in our 10 day period.
A group booking diving with us sent all their luggage back via ferry to ensure that they would get all their people on their booked and confirmed flight, only to have one person kicked off due to numbers once again.
Also during our stay over 10 days a number of flights to Eua and other islands were cancelled due to maintenance issues (see attached link) and this appears ongoing.
Warning issued over Tongan aircraft - National - NZ Herald News
On the day prior to our flight we had our booking confirmed and all was apparently well. That night we saw a flight come in very late but paid it no heed.
We made the airport the next morning with plenty of time and found it all locked up. Waited until our flight time, only to be told by the local, spraying weeds, that the flights were cancelled. At no time prior to this were we informed, had they done so before 1600 the previous day we could have caught the ferry back or gotten the late flight the previous night we saw come in. We then contacted Deep Blue diving who spent many hours talking to Real Tonga. We explained we had a connecting flight to OZ at 1600 that day and should we miss this we could not reschedule as our airline only fly’s in twice weekly and their next flight was the following Tuesday (we were to be flying out of Melbourne that Tues morning at 6 am to Vanuatu). On that basis if we missed our flight we would have to pay for new tickets with another airline or get back late and totally miss our Vanuatu trip.
At about 1130 that morning we were advised they would fly us out at 1600 that night, we said no that won’t work. After renegotiation, they said they would fly in to Eua at 1445 getting back to Tongatapu at 1505. Our international flight was at 1545 but they said they contacted Virgin airlines who would hold the international flight for us and they would have a driver waiting to rush us from regional airport to international. We waited at the airport and their promised flight did not get in to Eua until 1530 and did not make Tongatapu until 1545 and we watched our international flight leave without us as we landed.

On getting in to the Real Tonga check out counter, we were greeted with blank stares. On asking what was happening, all the staff walked away and refused to talk with us but were clearly talking about us in their language. There was no driver waiting for us either as promised. We waited for 15 minutes while the staff made themselves scarce. Only when it was obvious that we were not going anywhere, did someone approach and we discussed the situation. They offered a hotel room at Scenic Hotel with a meal and breakfast, and told us to rebook our international flight. When I explained it was now going to cost us $2000 extra to get home they just shrugged and walked off. I was told to claim it on our travel insurance, but clearly its not covered.
While we were having this conversation someone who appeared important ( a lecturer perhaps I think from NZ), was blowing a fuse as he had booked in to go speak with 100 people on an island and when he got there at the allocated time to make his flight, they told him the flight had already gone. He asked how, if he was on time to make his flight, how it could be already gone? He was livid and said he was now flying home and would not make his speech.
We went over to international and spoke with our international carrier (Virgin) and the manager said he tried to hold the flight but soon as he realised we would not even have landed before their flight time he could no longer hold the flight, but he had the sense to shift our booking to another day so we could at least recover some of our flight costs with them (yet to be confirmed) A BIG THANK YOU VIRGIN STAFF AT TONGA if this is the case.
When we went to the Scenic Hotel for the night, it was full of people who had their flights with Real Tonga not made or cancelled. Real Tonga paid for some people’s hotel costs but not others? Some just accepted it but others were livid. A Japanese woman was incensed as she had very similar issues with Real Tonga from another island flight and on her island chaos about all the flights was the same. They made her take a 7 hr ferry trip. She could understand some of their language and said they were talking about her in front of her in their language but not communicating to her, clearly they had no idea she could understand them. They were saying things like “she is rich she can afford it, and anyway she can claim on travel insurance etc etc”.

It would appear to me that Real Tonga airlines is in crisis. My thoughts are;
No clear management happening, they appear going from one crisis to another and respond to their biggest client booking issues and just drop smaller numbers of client groups and just ignore them as their way of dealing with the situation. It appears from newspapers they have significant maintenance issues. I was told if you fly with them you have no insurance with them?
This must be affecting all the local businesses who I know are very upset with Real Tonga airlines, its destroying their livelihood.
I would like to thank the following who tried very hard to help us with our Real Tonga issues;
Always Dive Expeditions – who did a great effort to get us there on time, and got us home when all else failed.
Deep Blue Diving Tonga – who tried very hard indeed (thank you Sam and staff) to make our time pleasurable and get our flights sorted out. Nothing was too much trouble for them and I would recommend them.
Ova Tree Lodge – Run by Wolfgang, he made our stay pleasurable and was a great dive guide. We enjoyed the atmosphere very much indeed. The lodge is good, hot water and great service from him and his staff. Its not a 5 star hotel but it very much is the best stay on the island (according to all those who tried other lodgings and came there).
Virgin Australia – who tried valiantly to get us home and were smart enough to help recover some of our costs.

I do not blame Real Tonga support staff directly although they do lack customer service skills, I put the blame clearly on their Management (or total lack of), and no communication when they are having issues, no apparent training in how to deal with customer crisis, no respect of their customers. To me, clearly the airline has huge maintenance issues and are in crisis.
My recommendation is to NOT fly with them at all under any circumstance. If you absolutely have to fly with them, then allow a number of non critical days either end of your holiday period as they will probably not met their obligations on time.
I recommend take the ferry service, its reliable. I would say, DO NOT FLY REAL TONGA

The ferry is actually the best option - it only cost Pangai$20 about USD$10? and takes about 2 - 3 hours to get to Eua from Nuku'alofa's Queen Salote wharf.

The big ferry which is capable of carrying heavy trucks is better - the small one resembles a death trap but it will still get you there.

Traveling is an adventure!!!

As an update, when we got home I spoke to Virgin regarding use of the ticket the Tonga Virgin rep had rescheduled. "Nope, you missed the flight, you have lost it" was the response. After some discussion it was clear to me that the Virgin rep in Tonga had lied to us to keep us quiet. Our flights had not been rescheduled, but left as they were and as we missed the flight we lost the tickets (hence why he did not give us anything in writing at the time when we requested it. He simply said its all ok Melbourne Virgin staff know about it and will help you on your return, on reflection clearly a lie to have us leave their counter without being upset).

On my return home, I argued this with Virgin Melbourne at length and they then finally responded with a $200 credit, which while something was far short of the actual tickets lost. My upset is the blatant lie that we were told about the rescheduling by the Tonga rep. Clearly their culture is to avoid or lie about issues until you go away then for them its problem solved.

So beware, do not trust people there if you are having difficulties, it appears their culture is that its OK to lie to resolve a problem, if they wont give it to you in writing, then you have nothing from them and it may all be false. At least get a letter from the airline explaining the circumstance of the missed flight, and in that way you have a chance of recovering money from your travel insurance.

When flying to Truk, United failed to land at Truk and took us to the next Island and we sat there for 3 days before getting back to Truk. To recover money lost we had a letter from the airline stating that bad weather prevented the landing and that they were attempting to get us back to truk, a letter from our travel agent explain the lost accommodation and lost dives prepaid. We managed to recover much of our lost money via travel insurance, BUT you need the appropriate paperwork and its best you get it before you fly out.

And I agree totally with the previous post, the ferry is reliable, however it doesn't sail every day. Also if you get very sea sick it can be a problem.

Been quite a year with flight adventures for you...

It's good to know this information about Tonga though, as I was planning for a trip in 2017 to do some diving after going snorkelling with the humpbacks. It seems like it may require some additional consideration.

If you fly tonga airlines allow days before your flight out, I am not sure of who fly's into Tonga but Virgin only fly in about twice a week so plan accordingly. Also on the flight in we had no internal flights to the island we were visiting even thought we had booked months ahead and we were getting on the flight to Tonga. All their assurances and promises mean absolutely nothing. Promise the earth and give nothing.

Take good travel insurance, if you get stranded get letters detailing their failures and don't take no for an answer. I would love to go back to Tonga and dive again but am so unsure if anything has changed. There are so many more reliable places in the world to dive. Beware and take absolute caution.

Back
Top Bottom