Diving trivia QUIZ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
well It is MAY and people are taking test so why should here be different.

Diving Trivia - Compiled by Bernie Chowdhury
Reprint from Divers Digest March 199X

1. Who invented SCUBA and in what year?
2. Who invented underwater photography?
3. When were the world's first underwater photographs taken?
4. What was the first book on underwater photography?
5. What was nitrogen narcosis first called?
6. What was the name of the first film Cousteau entered in the Cannes Film Festival?
7. What was the name of the 1956 underwater film that won an Oscar in the U.S. and the Grand Prize at the Cannes Film Festival?
8. Which two men are credited with descending beyond the visible range of light, when did they do it and how deep did they go?
9. John Scott Haidane came up with the first set of dive tables, in 1907. What was the name of the committee that commissioned him to come up with a set of tables?
10. Who came up with the idea for saturation diving? [Saturation diving theory states that, once a diver's body has become saturated with inert gas, stage decompression no longer increases]

Extra Credit

11. What is the name of the civil war ironclad wreck that Gary Gentile fought the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). for 5 years for the rights to dive on?

Can a person get extra credit for answering #11 even though they can't answer the other 10? Interesting questions and it will give me something to research.

1) Jacques Cousteau and Emil Gagnan, 1943
2) Dr. Louis Boutan
3) 1893
4) Undersea Photography
5) Rapture of the Deep
6) 60 feet down
7) The Silent World
8) William Beebe and Otis Barton descended to 3,028 feet in 1934
9)John Scott Haidane never came up with the first dive table; John Scott Haldane did after being asked to by the Royal Navy :)
10) George Bond
11) U.S.S. Monitor
11a) Sunk because in a storm its iron hull seperated

So which of these are right?

The bribes can be sent to....

I tell ya what I will wait a few days and see in anyone can answer these questions, that and give me a chance to think of a reward for a 100 percent score...

as for 12 Why did 11 sink?

1. Cousteu and Gagnon 1946?

2. same?

5. rapture of the Deep

6.Silent World

9.Something to do with bridges probably

Extra Credit

USS Monitor

Thats all I can come up with off the top of my head. Net search would be no fair....

Tom

1. J Cousteau and E. Gagnan 1943
5. rapture of the deep
7. Silent World
8. Beebe and Barton- really deep:D
9. HaLdane by the Royal Navy
11. USS Monitor

never been interested in UW photograph, so no idea on the photo questions

Mike

I know number 12. Because iron is heavier than water!!!! :eek:ut:

The Monitor sank in a storm as it was being towed. It didn't have chance since it sat(I can't remember the sailing term) almost even with the water plane.

Cousteau did NOT invent the demand regulator. He never claimed to have invented it. He merely commissioned its invention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom