Diving trivia QUIZ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBA was invented long before Gagnan and Cousteau. Emil Gagnan was an engineer and developed the modern demand regulator in conjunction with Cousteau, though Cousteau often gets the credit for it.

There are some similar questions in Diving History and Trivia Quiz , including the one about who invented scuba. The answers might surprise you.

Well, I think I know three of these....

1) Greeks started diving as earlys as the 17th century, but with no gear, and that "phase" ended there, because too many people were ending up dead. However, Emil Gagnan deceloped SCUBA gear. In 1943, successful attempts were made of the new compressed-air breathing apparatus.

5) Rapture of the Deep

11) U.S.S Monitor. It sank in 1862 after a battle with the C.S.S. Virginia. Sank 16 miles off of Cape Hatteras.

Thats all I know of..... :)

Kayla:)

Originally posted by Fishkiller
well It is MAY and people are taking test so why should here be different.

Diving Trivia - Compiled by Bernie Chowdhury
Reprint from Divers Digest March 199X

1. Who invented SCUBA and in what year?
It's a complex answer and the quiz probably has it wrong. Several people came up with the idea of SCUBA and there have been functional apparatus long before the Aqua Lung. No year can be attributed to the creation of SCUBA. Emil Gagnan, an engineer, did not invent SCUBA. He invented the modern demand regulator in 1943.

2. Who invented underwater photography?
The first underwater photograph was taken by William Thompson from Britain though Dr. Louis Boutan is often credited with the invention of underwater photography.

3. When were the world's first underwater photographs taken?
He did it in 1856 (Thompson), 49 years before Boutan.

4. What was the first book on underwater photography?
La Photographie Sous-Marine (Undersea Photography) by Louis Boutan, published in 1900, though earlier books by others had included underwater photographs

5. What was nitrogen narcosis first called?
Rapture of the deep, by Cousteau and crew

6. What was the name of the first film Cousteau entered in the Cannes Film Festival?
Épaves (Wrecks), in 1946, 10 years before he won an award.

7. What was the name of the 1956 underwater film that won an Oscar in the U.S. and the Grand Prize at the Cannes Film Festival?
Le monde du silence (the Silent World)

8. Which two men are credited with descending beyond the visible range of light, when did they do it and how deep did they go?
William Beebe and Otis Barton, in 1934, in a bathysphere in the ocean off Bermuda, descended to 3,028 feet although Beebe had descended alone to 1,426 feet 4 years earlier.

9. John Scott Haidane came up with the first set of dive tables, in 1907. What was the name of the committee that commissioned him to come up with a set of tables?
The British Admiralty Deepwater Diving Committee

10. Who came up with the idea for saturation diving? [Saturation diving theory states that, once a diver's body has become saturated with inert gas, stage decompression no longer increases]

Another tricky question. The idea of saturation diving had been known before Haldane. The first intentional saturation dive was planned by Dr Edgar End and done with Max Nohl as the diver in December 1938, , 29 years before Bond began following up on experiments done in 1932 This experiment was a follow-on of some animal saturation experiments done in 1932 by FJC Smith, JW Heim, G Bennett, RM Thompson, and CK Drinker at
Harvard, who were interested in oxygen toxicity .

Extra Credit

11. What is the name of the civil war ironclad wreck that Gary Gentile fought the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). for 5 years for the rights to dive on?
The Monitor

Commentary:
This quiz serves to challenge people to question what they believe is true. I suspect there are many errors in the quiz and that the true answers are very different from the answers noted as true by the quiz.

- Who invented the second stage in mouth regulator?

- How deep did humans get, when, where?

- How deep did humans get with scuba gear using air?

- Who discovered the bends (unintentionaly)?

- Who's the first documented diver in history?

- What do humans and goats have in common?

- How deep did Jaque Maiol (or however it's written) REALLY get?

on what category?

That's about it for now. Be advised that I can't be sure all the answers I personnaly have are 100% correct!!!

Originally posted by vr

Commentary:
This quiz serves to challenge people to question what they believe is true. I suspect there are many errors in the quiz and that the true answers are very different from the answers noted as true by the quiz.

Did you know I tried for a whole semester to convience my biology professor of just that.?

Then I always member the quote by big AL. when ask why he spends so much time on his theories his response " I just want to know how God did it"

so what is truth...

of course a theory isn't truth is it? it is something that needs to be dis proven or proven...

now in reguards to other truths.. he who wins writes history

Answers:
1. Jacques Cousteau and Emil Gagnan invented Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus (SCUBA) in 1943.
2. Louis Boutan - a zoologist.
3. In 1892 by Louis Boutan. (By 1895, he was producing decent photographs at 165 feet!)
4. Undersea Photography by Louis Boutan, published in 1900.
5. Nitrogen narcosis was first called "Rapture of the Deep" by Cousteau and his fellow divers.
6. "Sixty Feet Down."
7. Cousteau's "The Silent World." (A book of the same title was written. by Cousteau and published in 1953.)
8. William Beebe and Otis Barton descended to 3,028 feet in the open ocean off Bermuda in a bathysphere. They did this in 1934.
9. The British Admiralty Deepwater Diving Committee commissioned Haldane to look into the problem of averting decompression sickness in divers.
10. George Bond, a U.S. Navy diving physiologist.
11. The Monitor.

About half of those answers are wrong. It's pretty bad when the guy who put it together anc chose the questions flunked it.

Why ya picking on poor Bernie Chowdhury???

Back
Top Bottom