Diving with 1 eye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ennyl265

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
:bluewink: Yup that's me (see avatar). I have a medical condition which does allow my left eye to open. I have done all the tests possible but the medical professionals i have seen (and I have seen the best in Canada supposedly)tell me there is nothing that can be done. I can see out the eye ,sort of, if I hold the eye lid open (ha, not very practical). My brain has begun the process of shutting down the input it receives from this eyebecause it has been so long since it has stayed open. So now the vision out of it, if i do hold the lid open, is blurred and jumpy. Things seem to be moving by themselves. I have been told I have to live with it.It sucks royally but I have accepted the fact and really, I don't notice it that much unless someone says something or I catch someone staring. It could be worse.

It does however pose a challenges for diving. My partner and I have been able to overcome some difficulties in my vision by staying in the same proximal diving positions to each other. I always stay to his left as I cannot see him if he is on my left. However when we get partnered with someone new I have forgotten to mention that fact and had a bugger of a time losing sight of my new buddy:nervous: . My fault, really.

I do wonder if there is something better for my vision out there? Right now I have a single window IST mask. My vision is already so limited that a 2 window mask is not acceptable. The center lense seperator limits my vision to much to my left. I have read about the hydroOptix but it is rather expensive. Since I have a small face I would hate to order it in ( small local dive shop) only to have it not fit properly. Plus you need to wear corrective contacts with it (does this work with 1 eye...sigh). I was also wondering about the Sherwood Magnum EX Panoramic. Anyone have 1?? Is it any good? Does it come in any other color besides purple :confused: ?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

What is your vision like in your good eye?

HydroOptix have opticians/optometrists who sell their product locally in the US and Canada.Most have masks for you to try out. They are a lot better able to diagnose and fit the mask for you than a LDS. Depending on the vision in your eye, you may not need corrective lenses for this mask. I have used the HO mask - the view is truly panoramic.

Email HO and see what they say. I have a dive buddy with one eye. He swears by that mask.

Haven't had my eye check lately but last time vision in my right eye is 20/20. Good thing since it does all the viewing ...lol.

I'm blind in one eye.

I just scan my surroundings. Up, down, left, right, buddy. Every couple of seconds.

Works great.

Good luck, I live a pretty normal life with my one eye. I do bump into things while walking, and I have to be careful around small kids.

No worries,

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom