Diving with a hydration pack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many moons ago, I assisted a guy who was trying to break a world record for the longest time underwater during a freshwater scuba dive... The record was around 6 days, so tank changes, warmth, food, water, sleep and bathroom breaks were each their own logistical challenge.

Anyways, we used camel packs for water and electrolytes, and his favorite method for consuming calories was to those little orange twist top gatorate bottles filled with protein shakes.

But I agree with what others said, for typical recreational diving, just hydrating a few hours prior to the dive and again immediately after is your best bet.

Many moons ago, I assisted a guy who was trying to break a world record for the longest time underwater during a freshwater scuba dive... The record was around 6 days, so tank changes, warmth, food, water, sleep and bathroom breaks were each their own logistical challenge.

Anyways, we used camel packs for water and electrolytes, and his favorite method for consuming calories was to those little orange twist top gatorate bottles filled with protein shakes.

But I agree with what others said, for typical recreational diving, just hydrating a few hours prior to the dive and again immediately after is your best bet.
How/where do you sleep like 8 hours underwater?

Never tried long periods but I’ve slept pretty soundly for 45 mins, clipped of at 15’, essentially SNUBA from the deck above.

Buddy was quite amused.

Literally just laying on the 15ft bottom of a warm lake in FL. We would just watch to make sure he was still blowing bubbles and check on his SPG every few minutes, and wake him up to change tanks every 2 hours. #teamwork

Reactions: Doc
Literally just laying on the 15ft bottom of a warm lake in FL. We would just watch to.....

One day while diving off of one of John Dixon’s SWATH boats, I was parked in 22fsw with a home made micro lens camera- just staring and waiting for this little microscopic POS to move and make a gooder picture. I’m at about 700psi 1:75hr BT when one of the Nekton DMs came down to see if I was alive and actually breathing.

Off San Sal, doing an obligation at shallow stop, tied off and asleep. Woke up to find a Barracuda had joined me. I’d seen enough of them not to be concerned, but when he positioned himself up against the thruster nacelle (propellor collar housing), I saw him span it at a full 8’ of length. I remained awake after that.

Another day, I was clipped off at 17’ doing a stop in 90 degree water, end of day, afternoon light booming through the calm surface. I was dozing off and then awoke to find this glowing shimmering ocean of Sea Girdles passing by en-masse. Combining my drowsing state with the perfect light, the warm water, truly a memorable vision amongst a lifetime of diving.

Now that I’ve written this, I realize that all 3 (and more) of these tales came from my great many trips aboard the Nektons. I was a frequent flier, Platinum Level. Que lastima, te recuerda.

I’m thinkin’ to write a Distinctive Specialty- Snoozing Undersea. (There will be a patch, of course)

Has anyone ever dived with a small hydration pack in their BCD in case they get thirsty or to wet their mouth? Any downside to it?

i have done this in the past. when i used a jacket style bc i would keep the water pack in one of my pockets. i had a real problem with dry mouth during dives even when i was well hydrated. especially when diving salt water. at home we are lucky. i can just take out the reg and swish some fresh cold water around in the mouth when i get dry.

Back
Top Bottom