Diving with a Spouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't think of anyone I would rather dive with than the person I have chosen to share my life with! We know each other's comfort levels and it is wonderful to be able to share the amazing experiences that diving bring us.

The trick is to find a balance so neither feels they have to dive just because the other wants to dive. :) My hubby says he needs a stable of dive buddies to keep me happy... but I am happiest when I dive with HIM!

I think it is more important that the kids see their parents sharing and relying on each other. IMHO it is better that parents teach children how to live life to the fullest rather than live in fear of the "What if's".

My husband is my primary dive buddy. It's brilliant. Holiday decisions are always a a snap, and gift ideas are unlimited. It's a lot more expensive, especially since we are both cave divers, but I can't believe how lucky I am to share my passion with the one I love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was recently in Cancun and did one of those intro to scuba classes and I loved it. Now that I'm back home, I'm looking to get certified.

I was asking my wife if she would also get certified so that we can dive together and be each other's buddy. She is open to it, but she did raise a concern about us doing this together while having 2 kids (14 and 10). I know it's a bit morbid but she's concerned about something happening to both of us at the same time.

I know I've seen posts where spouses both dive, but I was wondering....do you all dive as each other's buddy or is it better to buddy dive with someone else even if you are diving at the same time in the same location?

I guess I'm trying to understand what the "best practice" is for spouses that dive

You've got better odds @ 'ending it together' driving around in your car----or---flying someplace in an airplane........Wife & I have been diving together since 1985-& I can honestly say that thought has never crossed our minds........btw, 'back in the day'(1985 thru '93) when all 3 of our kids turned 12, they all got certified......Guess back when all 5 of us dived together, 'it'(5 'going' @ one time) would have made the national news..IMO, don't fret over this---way too many other ways 'to go---together'......

Last edited:
My wife is my primary dive buddy and has been for years. We do a lot of wreck penetration and deco diving and having some one there who knows you and your reaction well really helps especially on more complex dives. As for safety going to the grocery store as a family together is significantly more dangerous than diving together. Diving can be dangerous and unforgiving, however the odds of a family getting taken out on the freeway are way higher than both of you having a diving accident at the same time. If you get your wife into it she will never give you crap for buying diving gear or taking dive trips.

Unless you take those dive trips withouT her...

Unless you take those dive trips withouT her...

My best friend since high school(we graduated in 1970)--who I got into diving~ 2000--& I call them 'guy's trips', & it works....:)

To close the loop on my post.....I have now signed up for a PADI open water class in September. The timing for the August class wasn't good with school starting back the same week as the class.

My wife will be taking the class in October. The school we're using only has one class per month and it would be tough for us to take the class at the same time due to the number of hours

We should be able to get in a few dives together in early November locally and then we go to Tobago for Thanksgiving week for a few days so we'll do some diving together there.

I was worried about the water treading test, but I just so happened to learn to back float just two ago after trying to figure it out for a couple weeks. Something just clicked and I was to float. Someone did mention I could have done drown proofing, but the instructors I will have prefers that we have our face out of the water and he said most of his students just float on their back. My wife can already actually tread water for 10 mins.....she tried on this past weekend to see if she could make it.

Thanks for all the great advice and it nice to hear about so many other couples diving together. I have not shared any of these with my wife as I didn't want to put any kind of pressure on her or try to "convince" her to do it. She eventually decided on her own that it be great to do scuba diving together.

Derek

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is great news. I hope you find as much joy in diving together as I have with my hubby. Keep us posted Your wife may find reading this thread reassuring now that the decision is made and the pressure is off :happywave:

Very happy for both of you. My best friend (wife) and I are in Roatan right now diving every day together. Without a doubt the best time of my life!!!

I hope you two make tons of great diving memories together!

David & Rhonda Miller

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom