Diving With ALS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Kerr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've just been diagnosed with a form of ALS, or more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease. The reason I say it's a form of ALS is because according to my neurologist the tests show that this has been progressing for about 10 years. Full blown ALS apparently progresses pretty fast once the symptoms are noticeable.

I've been diving with this disease without knowing it because I was ignoring some of the symptoms attributing them to age and conditioning. But now I am on medication to slow the progression. The medication I'm taking is 50mg Rilutek along with 150mg Lithium. Does anyone have any knowledge about diving on these drugs or know anyone who has dived with this disease while on these drugs while they were still physically able to and what problems they occured if any? I'ld really like to continue diving if at all possible while I still can. Thanks in Advance.

Hi Jim,

That is very unhappy news.

There is no published science of which I am aware dealing with diving with ALS nor while on riluzole or lithium carbonate.

This notwithstanding, there are good reasons to begin to think about ceasing SCUBA.

Most problematic are the signs and symptoms associated with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS; aka Lou Gehrig's Disease or Maladie de Charcot). Of concern to diving are loss of muscle tone, spasticity, muscle twitching and wasting, and rapidly alternating contractions and relaxations of the muscles. The musculature that controls breathing eventually is seriously compromised. Excessive salivation and impaired swallowing also are to be expected.

Secondly, the medications cited can have serious side effects. Of concern to diving are nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, weakness, tingling or numbness around the mouth, extreme thirst, restlessness, confusion, vision problems, feeling cold, abnormal heart activity, lack of coordination, and ringing in the ears. An adequate topside trial on these drugs clearly would be required prior to considering a return to SCUBA no matter what the diagnosis.

The ultimate implications of this disease process for diving are obvious.

In the meantime, it would be prudent to discuss medical clearance to dive with the treating neurologist.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Nothing to add to Doc Vikingo's post as far as advice goes, but I just wanted to say I'm really sorry that this has happened to you.

Hi Jim,

That is very unhappy news.

There is no published science of which I am aware dealing with diving with ALS nor while on riluzole or lithium carbonate.

This notwithstanding, there are good reasons to begin to think about ceasing SCUBA.

Most problematic are the signs and symptoms associated with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS; aka Lou Gehrig's Disease or Maladie de Charcot). Of concern to diving are loss of muscle tone, spasticity, muscle twitching and wasting, and rapidly alternating contractions and relaxations of the muscles. The musculature that controls breathing eventually is seriously compromised. Excessive salivation and impaired swallowing also are to be expected.

Secondly, the medications cited can have serious side effects. Of concern to diving are nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, weakness, tingling or numbness around the mouth, extreme thirst, restlessness, confusion, vision problems, feeling cold, abnormal heart activity, lack of coordination, and ringing in the ears. An adequate topside trial on these drugs clearly would be required prior to considering a return to SCUBA no matter what the diagnosis.

The ultimate implications of this disease process for diving are obvious.

In the meantime, it would be prudent to discuss medical clearance to dive with the treating neurologist.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Thank You DocVikingo and TSandM,

After being on these meds for several days I am experiencing many of the symptoms you have described, and they are kicking my @%$. I guess it was just wishful thiking on my part. Thanks very much for your imput, it was greatly appreciated.

Hey Jim,

Sorry to hear that.

As regards the comment, "After being on these meds for several days I am experiencing many of the symptoms you have described, and they are kicking my @%$," be aware that it is not uncommon for some of these adverse reactions to diminish with time or alterations in dosing.

Don't assume quite yet that all of them will continue as is forever.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Hey Jim, our wishes are with you to prevail...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom