Diving with broken scaphoid in wrist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a great opportunity to dive in Oman that I likely won't have again given how far it is to travel there. I broke my wrist on my non-dominant hand 2 weeks ago. I still have four more weeks in a cast. The doctor cleared me for diving (I have a note) - she said she was fine with the cast getting wet, the pressure as a result of diving, and the physical activity level (I can move all fingers freely). However, she was not as versed on the blood flow issues as she is not a diver herself nor is familiar with studies on the topic. In reading forums and material that I could find, it sounds like there are a few risks:
1) DCS - sounds like given the blood flow to the area, there is concern about DCS possibility. However, I found mixed material on this. Could this be mitigated by essentially doubling my ascent time so I take it very slow? Also, I can switch to my more conservative dive computer so I bottom out for a shorter time.
2) Healing time to bone - the most critical factor for healing my wrist is good blood flow to the area. Will diving constrain the blood supply significantly? Has anyone seen research or materials out there on this?
3) Ability to execute safety procedures. I feel confident that I can handle these and climb up and down a ladder given my current state so I believe I am okay there.

Thanks!
Blake

I'll make this easy. Call DAN.

I searched long and hard for an answer to a diving question and finally called them,. I had a clear and comprehensive answer within moments.

But please let us know what they answer is so we may all learn.

Cheers, and I hope you get to go. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

Yours,
DS

Blake,

Going by the information that you've provided, I think that you would be at low risk of developing DCS in the area. You're not planning on going in to saturation are you? Also, out of curiosity, what kind of cast do you have?

Best regards,
DDM

Blake,

Going by the information that you've provided, I think that you would be at low risk of developing DCS in the area. You're not planning on going in to saturation are you? Also, out of curiosity, what kind of cast do you have?

Best regards,
DDM

This I am glad to hear possibility. Years ago I was in a similar situation and looking back have questioned how significant a risk I had put myself in. At the time as a precaution I extended my safety stops arbitrarily.

Regards,
Cameron

So, I am an MD, but not an orthopaedic surgeon. I would however, not recommend diving with a cast. Too many other issues regarding the cast could happen.
Getting the cast wet and filled with salt water will not be nice. Either for you or for those around you. It is one thing to get a little fresh water in or pool water in it but salt water is another thing.
Getting the cast wet and under pressure will hurt and could lead to compartment syndrome. If you don't have access to splitting the cast and wrapping it I would be very careful.
Trying to keep the cast dry would lead to a squeeze which wouldn't be good either.

Unless you have a removable splint which you could dive with and not a cast - I wouldn't do it.

jstrang, that's what I was thinking too. Curious as to what type of cast the OP has and why an orthopedist would clear him to dive if it's a traditional cast.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom