Diving with Bull Sharks - Playa Del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJW:
See the bold above, "if it tastes like salt, there are sharks in the water" That's absolutely false. There are sharks in fresh water - many different kind of species that actually live there or just to swim by. Bull sharks are one of them that go to fresh water.

you are absolutely correct, sir. I was only making a point. thinking you are going to avoid sharks when scuba diving isn't very realistic. Emrace the idea and enjoy them....

jd950
no worries, man. I understand your point. I too don't relish the idea of diving with the big boys. I frequently go to spots rumored to be visited by "whitey".
worrying about it too musch wouldn't be healthy...

Wish they were easier to photgraph

They seem to be a bit strobe shy

Attachments

• black tip.jpg
    black tip.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 51
VTECgsr12:
Hey guys,
The purpose behind my pursuit of diving is to swim with sharks, even Tigers and Bulls. My question was; is it difficult to overcome the fear? Does overcoming it come with experience around sharks?

In my experience yes. Sharks used to scare the bejesus out of me. Over the years I've become accustomed to them and actually look forward to seeing them. Also a lot of it is becoming more familiar with sharks. I started diving shortly after Jaws came out and that really influenced my original view of sharks. Although big bulls still make me nervous and I've never seen a GDGW while diving and don't really want to. There's a cool Tiger shark dive in the Bahamas that you may want to look into.

AL

SBP Studios:
reeldive- where were those pics taken?
Conception Island Bahamas. He stayed out about 30 ft and I had to enlarge the photo considerable. any of the experts out there care to indentify it? the picture really isn't that good. I was thinking a bahamas reef shark.

There is a story that goes with it. Shortly after that pic, my dive buddy and self apointed dive master grabed my camera . I thought she wanted to take my pic but she was brandishing it like a club, and, post dive, she admitted that that was what she intended. I had a few words with her about that! the poor shark was only 5ft or so but quickly grew to 11-12 when she discribed the incident to the other divers on board.. SHe doesn't Crew on that boat anymore

I've got a few more Shark pic's in my shark and ray album that I'll get around to posting on SB. Maybe after next months Cay Sal Banks trip I'll have a few more to add

I don't consider myself to be a photographer - Just a diver that takes pictures.

reel- seems like a reef, we had about 25 of those on our last dive in the Bahamas. it was not supposed to be a shark dive but turned into one!

I have a healthy respect for sharks but never feared them much BUT, twice this month I have had to use my spear gun to keep a shark at bay. First time was understandable since I had a fish that was bleeding while I was trying to get the spear out when a 6 or 7 foot Nurse shark kept coming at me until I poked him in the head with the spear. he circled around me and came by again a little too close and I touched him in the side to keep some distance.

The second instance was just yesterday and when I was free diving and had not shot anything, but I was using a gas powered scooter to drag me around in my search. It was only about 3 and a half feet long. He swam from behind and underneath me about 4 foot away. I was keeping an eye on him when he started coming right at me and just a little faster than their normal cruise speed which made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. when he got close enough I instinctively put the spear gun between us and poked him 4 or 5 times before he changed course. I began to wonder if the noise from the scooter might have attracted or made him mad, so I turned it off and swam back to my boat and he came back and got too close for comfort but I can't remember if I actually touched him again or not. I was really spooked while I was trying to climb back on to my dingy and I took a while get my one leg out of the water. I should mention that I was diving in the middle to lower Florida Keys in 25 and 10 foot water.
Has anyone else had a similar encounter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom