Diving with Bull Sharks - Playa Del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy-S:
I have done over 30 dives in coz and playa i have only seen nurse sharks. your lucky to spot a bull.[/quo

Last month about March 10th, we were diving the Palancar bricks & got to the wall when I spotted a shark hanging out off the wall to our (deep)side.....I gave the DM the shark sign & pointed, he turned, saw it & slowly headed toward it....In a few moments it disappeared(swimming away & downward) & no one else on the dive saw it.....Doesn't take long for them to leave you behind.......

ScubaJW:
See the bold above, "if it tastes like salt, there are sharks in the water" That's absolutely false. There are sharks in fresh water - many different kind of species that actually live there or just to swim by. Bull sharks are one of them that go to fresh water.

Ironically enough, given the context of this thread, the Bull shark is perfectly happy and can be found in fresh water.

VTECgsr12:
Hey guys,
I'm thinking about pursuing diving and I was wondering if you guys could comment on overcoming the fear and ambiguity of swimming with 6-10 foot killer fish (sharks). Is it just a matter of doing it and becoming more comfortable? I'm prolly gonna go down in a cage and see what it's like first!!

As other have mentioned, sharks will always be there somewhere. And also as mentioned, it is pretty cool when you actually see one. Other than a couple of dives where I intentionally looked for them (i.e., "shark" dives) I have only really have seen nurse sharks which are fairly harmless and "real" sharks 2-3 times and they were never close enough to get a real good look at, more like shadows in the distance.

You should be more concerned with general diving skills such as getting bouyancy down so that you do not run into coral which can be nasty (and also, more importantly to protect the coral) and learn where you are placing your hands at anytime so as not to hit something/put your hand into hole with critters that may get defensive. Give the marine life some room, do not make them feel threatened and you will be good to go.

dashark: I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I disagree a bit.

I was suggesting that in some locations it is uncommon to "encounter" sharks. They may be around, but are seldom seen by divers. Other locations are known for the presence of sharks.

Generally, the more aggressive sharks are not often found very close to clear, warm, shallow reefs, in my opinion. For example, it is my understanding that it is very rare to see sharks around Bonaire.

For someone who is fearful of sharks, seeking a destination where they are uncommon would seem wise. Of course, lakes, quarries and rivers are going to be shark-free (although the bull shark is capable of surviving in freshwater and has been found in lakes and rivers including the Amazon and the Mississippi) but since vtec mentioned shark cages, I gather he/she is interested in ocean diving.

I think it is sometimes all too easy for us to tell someone not to worry or get over their fear. If it were that easy, they probably wouldn't be talking about their concern. For some it may be snakes, spiders, flying or heights, for others, sharks. Some people have no phobias and for them these fears may seem illogical and even silly, but for those with the fears they are real and not easily overcome.

Telling someone with a fear of flying that they shouldn't worry because planes seldom crash doesn't get them over their fear.

I grew up in an area that has a lot of bull sharks and I don't think a year went by without someone getting bitten. I was only in the water around one once (that I know of), and I didn't like it. They make me uncomfortable and I won't knowingly dive around them. I think they are beautiful and would actually like to see one once while diving, but after seeing it, I would probably leave unless it did. I know others will intentionally seek them out and try to get as close as possible, and even feed them, and that is fine for them. I prefer to keep my distance.

I know that sharks exist in the locations where I dive, but it is uncommon to see them. I think it is valuable for someone who wants to learn to dive but has a fear of sharks to know that there are many locations in salt water where they are unlikely to encounter any shark, or at least anything more than a smallish nurse or reef shark.

Yes, we are entering their home, and it would be hard to completely rule out seeing a shark in most locations, but there are plenty of places where shark sightings are uncommon and I think that is worth knowing.

Well said. I also have a fear of seeing a larger shark while diving. When I saw a bunch of black tips as the first sharks I saw and I was surprised to find myself trying to get closer. I thought I would be in a panic. I really do not want to face a bull in the water. Thats one of teh reasons i don't think i could ever try spearfishing although have always wanted to.

Hey guys,
The purpose behind my pursuit of diving is to swim with sharks, even Tigers and Bulls. My question was; is it difficult to overcome the fear? Does overcoming it come with experience around sharks?

Your questions are too subjective to answer. What is "difficult" for one person may not be "difficult" for another. I feel like I would be fine in the water with a shark, but have never been put into the situation to actually experience it. I don't think it is necessary to enter the water with sharks on multiple dives to "overcome the fear," it merely depends on your mindset.

VTECgsr12:
Hey guys,
I'm thinking about pursuing diving and I was wondering if you guys could comment on overcoming the fear and ambiguity of swimming with 6-10 foot killer fish (sharks). Is it just a matter of doing it and becoming more comfortable? I'm prolly gonna go down in a cage and see what it's like first!!

Get certified, go to Roatan & do the dive Cara a Cara(face to face in spanish) --you will not be afraid anymore, IMO......here is a video link to the dive, take your pick............http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=roatan+shark+dives&search=Search

In Belize at Shark Ray Alley while snorkeling I saw a bull amid all the nurse sharks. It was pretty cool but that was one tough looking shark that I kept my eyes on until it disappeared. The guys who ran the boat said that a bull normally comes around looking for a handout (just like the nurses) from the fisherman (they clean their catch there) and they've never heard about any attacks.

VTECgsr12:
Hey guys,

Just do it and not think about it. I got certified in Palau last year and sharks are everywhere, even when snorkeling, you'll see them. I was never approached or spooked by one. Every time I saw one, it would keep a healthy distance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom