diving with contacts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No Problems diving with contacts. Use disposables if you want an extra safety margin. However, I've since had lasek eye surgery performed so I don't have to worry about that anymore.

I dive with soft, disposable contacts. I have horrible myopia and mild astigmatism, so a prescription mask would have been inconvenient because of needing to wear the mask whenever not wearing glasses (on the boat, dock, beach, etc.). Plus, glasses don't correct my astigmatism but contacts do (something about the shape of the contact naturally holding my eyeball in the right shape).

Diving in saltwater, I have needed to take the contacts out and give them a rinse between dives, especially if my mask floods. Also, after a week of diving, I replace the lenses out of an unfounded belief that there may still be salt stuck to them. I always bring along plenty of spare pairs (about 4 or 5) because I'm a little paranoid.

I usually let my dive buddy know I'm diving with contacts just in case anything does happen. Then they'll know why I'm running into things and squinting (at very close range) at my gauges.

I wear soft disposable contacts as well. Focus Night & Day contacts. I wear them for 30 days or so before changing them.

I haven't had any issues with them, either from mask flooding or from opening my eyes underwater.

I use Accuview...never lost one diving but a few to the almighty hot tub

I have contacts and have a mask with the snap in corrective lens. I have soft contacts that I wear 2 weeks and pitch. The only problem with my contacts I don't watch and they'll wash out.
I'm at that age I need progressives so I don't wear those new lenses. So I've been using my mask.

I dived with hard contacts for years without problems. Then I got LASIK and saw what I had been missing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom